School of Psychological and Social Sciences
I am an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and an HCPC registered (practitioner) Clinical psychologist within the YSJ Doctorate in Counselling Psychology training team.
Until January 2019 I was senior consultant clinical psychologist and head of Psychology at the Retreat, York.
My main involvement and sustenance came from participation in a DBT-informed Therapeutic Community for women with histories of severe self-harm, attachment difficulties and complex trauma. This was a national, NHS-funded specialist service. I was also the clinical lead for the outpatient service and past chair of the research governance group at the Retreat, York, and past chair of the clinical governance committee for Bridging the Gap,York.
In recent years I have been a visiting lecturer at the University of Leeds and the University of Hull, and a Senior Fellow of the Institute of Mental Health (IMH; University of Nottingham).
Doctor of Clinical Psychology, University of Leeds, 2001
Thesis: The Process of EMDR Therapy for Post-Traumatic Stress.
MSc. Clinical Psychology, University of Leeds, 1987
Thesis: Health preoccupation and reassurance seeking.
Post-Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Therapy, University of Durham, 2009
Thesis: Cognitive Behavioural Therapies for Personality Disorders.
BSc. (Hons.) Psychology, University of Manchester, 1983.
I lead the Group Psychotherapy module teaching (DCP212) within the Doctorate in Counselling Psychology training.
I have been a member of a research team of clinicians and academics from the Retreat York, the University of York and the university of Sheffield exploring the relationship between patterns of self-harm and trauma history. This resulted in the publication:-
McFetridge, M., Milner, R. Gavin, V. & Levita, L. (2015). Borderline Personality Disorder; patterns of self-harm, reported childhood trauma and clinical outcome within a longer-term hospital.
British Journal of Psychiatry Open, 1, 18–20.
I was the lead author of the Guideline for the treatment and planning of services for complex post-traumatic stress disorder in adults (2017), published by the UKPTS.
I was a member of the former steering committee of the Research Centre for Occupation and Mental Health (RCOMH), hosted by YSJ.
- I am a board member of the UKPTS (United Kingdom Psychological Trauma Society) and was conference lead for the 2019 Annual UKPTS conference in York.
- I am a committee member of the BPS-CDT (Crisis Disaster and Trauma section of the British Psychological Society) and of the Yorkshire Psychologists' Post Qualification training Committee (PQT).
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing Level 3 with Sandi Richman, London, 2016.
- Cognitive Therapy training (PGDip.) Newcastle, 2009.
- Foundation level DBT training, Chester, 2008.
- EMDR Level 2 with Francine Shapiro, New York, 1998.
- Invited speaker to the 2017 Annual Conference of the BPS-CDT; presentation on Psychological Therapy for Complex Trauma. London.
- Annual Conference of the British and Irish group for the Study of Personality Disorders 2015 (Leeds) and 2014 (Lincoln).
- Joint Research conference of the IMH and the Retreat (University of Nottingham) 2015 & 2016
- Annual Conference of the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 2012 (Leeds) & 2011 (Guildford).
- Annual Conference of the Association of Therapeutic Communities, Windsor Sept 2010.
- Annual Conference of the British & Irish Group for the Study of Personality Disorders 2008 (London) and Cambridge (2007)
- How Complex can CPTSD be? A workshop facilitated at the Annual conference of the UKPTS, Belfast 2017.