Course Leader - Executive & Professional Education Suite
York Business School
T: + 44 (0)1904 876278
Qualifications: 2015: PhD, Marketing: Marketing and Management, Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University: Newcastle, England | 2011: MLitt, International Business, University of St Andrews: Scotland | 2009: B.A. (Hons.), Electronic Business Management, Beijing Normal University: China
I am the Course Leader for Executive and Professional Education:
- SLDA/Executive MBA
- CMDA/Management and Leadership
- CMI Standalone
I am a lecturer in Marketing and Strategy at York St John University, teaching on both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. I finished my PhD in Marketing awarded by Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University. My research interests lie within company brand strategy, brand identity, corporate reputation and employer branding, particularly cross-disciplinary branding practicality.
I have a MLitt in International Business from St Andrews University and a BA in Electronic Business from Beijing Normal University. I worked across several sectors at management level including not-for-profit organisation and chemical engineering company. Proficient in brand application, I have designed and implemented several branding activities for these organisations.
I have previously lectured at both undergraduate and postgraduate level at Northumbria University, Newcastle. Teaching areas include marketing management and marketing strategy. I currently teach on both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes within the Business School.
Current Research Projects
- Ren, C., Woodruffe, H., Wappling, A., The Right ‘Fit’? Bringing Marketing and HR Together: A study of employer branding attractiveness.
- Ren, C. & Wappling, A., The instrumental and symbolic dimensions of brand attractiveness: a field study on employer branding in China.
- Ren, C., Wappling, A. Slater, P., Woodruffe, H. Building employer brand image to attract job seekers in China: the role of organisation identity and reputation.
Understanding luxury brand purchases by millennials through application of generational cohort theory.
This research project is partly funded by York St John University’s ‘Student as Researchers’ scheme. With this support, Dr Rebecca Biggins and I, are working in collaboration with two York Business School postgraduate students.
- I am a member of Academy of Marketing.
- Since 2012, I have worked as Marketing & Public Relations officer with CBEEs, which is a global network of Chinese professionals in the construction industry based in UK.
- I also worked with Riche Trading Co. Ltd, to complete a three-year (2011-2014) research project: Implementing internal branding within Chinese SMEs.
- Ren, C.,Woodruffe-Burton, H., Wappling, A. (2015). Building a positive employer brand image to attract job seekers in China: the role of organisation identity and corporate reputation. Journal of General Management. In progress.
- Xie, Y. Z., Baranchenko, Y., Lau, C. K., & Ren, C. (2015). Employability and job search behavior: A sixwave longitudinal study of Chinese university graduates. International Journal of Human Resource Management. In progress.
- Ren, C., Wappling, A., Woodruffe, H. R. (2016). Evaluating private and state-owned company differently? The role of corporate reputation in employer brand building’. Academy of Marketing, Newcastle.
- Ren, C., Woodruffe, H. R., Wappling, A. (2015). Building a positive employer brand image to attract job seekers in China. Academy of Marketing, Limerick.
- Ren, C., & Woodruffe, H. R. (2014). Employer Branding: building a positive employer brand image to attract job seekers in China. Paper presented at the International Colloquium on Design, Branding and Marketing (ICDBM), Nottingham Trent University.
- Ren, C., & Woodruffe, H. R. (2014). The Right ‘Fit’? Bringing Marketing and HR Together: A literature study of employer branding. Academy of Marketing, Bournemouth.
- Ren, C., & Woodruffe, H. R. (2014). An Exploratory Study of the Role of Employer Branding in Employee Attraction and Retention within Chinese Companies. Paper presented at the Academy of Marketing, Bournemouth.
- Ren, C., & Woodruffe, H. R. (2013). An exploratory study of the role of internal branding in employee attraction and retention in the Chinese manufacturing sector. Paper presented at the Academy of Marketing, Cardiff.