Senior Lecturer & Course Leader - Business Management and Economics Suite
York Business School
T: +44 (0)1904 876140
Qualifications: BSc (Huddersfield) | MSc (Huddersfield) | PhD (Huddersfield) | FHEA
I am the Course Leader for undergraduate programmes in Business and Management:
- Business Management
- Business Management and Human Resource Management
- Business Management and Languages
- Business and Economics
- Economics and Finance
I am a Lecturer in Economics. Within the field of economics, my interests are broad, however they are consistently underpinned by an interest in monetary policy, commodity prices and econometrics and particularly time series and VAR models. My research is also focused on exploitation of payday loans users and indebtedness.
Before joining York St John University I spent the last four years teaching at the University of Huddersfield. During this time I taught on undergraduate modules including Markets and Government and Monetary and Financial framework. I also supervised dissertations at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
I have been a Visiting Lecturer for postgraduate students at the University of Catania in Sicily, Italy.
I am a module director for several undergraduate modules: Introduction to Economics, Economic Policy and Practice and Financial and Capital markets. I also deliver International Business Economics.
I am currently undertaking research on exploitation and payday loans.
Research Student Supervision
I would welcome enquiries from potential research students working on Monetary Policy; Commodity Prices and Interest Rates; Microfinance.
Futures Research Group
I am a member of the Royal Economic Society and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Silvia Szilagyiova (December 2019 - upcoming) Exploitation of payday loan users: Fact or Fiction? Journal of Economic Sciences VOL VIII / No. 2.
- Silvia Szilagyiova (April, 2015). The effect of Payday loans on financial distress in the UK. Procedia Economics and Finance, vol 30, pp.842-847.
- Silvia Szilagyiova, John Anchor, Shabbir Dastgir (October, 2013). The transmission of UK monetary policy across national borders: investigation of the impact on oil prices. 54th Annual Conference of the Italian Economic Association, University of Bologna, Italy.
- Silvia Szilagyiova, John Anchor, Shabbir Dastgir (September, 2012). What the financial crisis started, the prices of imported goods will finish: Increasing challenges of monetary policy in the UK. European Association for Comparative Economic Studies bi-annual conference, University of West Scotland, Paisley.
- Silvia Szilagyiova, John Anchor, Shabbir Dastgir (May, 2012). World commodity prices and UK inflation indexes: Food for thought? PhD Conference in Monetary and Financial Economics, Bristol Business School.