York Business School's mission is to transform individuals in order to enhance their capacity and capability to make a difference in society. This will involve building and sustaining a learning community through teaching, research and enterprise of the highest standard.
York Business School will provide an exceptional, student-centred experience, based on both internationally significant research and pedagogic best practice. We will build on a tradition of distinction in academic, professional and social engagement in order to produce responsible and innovative decision-makers who are able to make a meaningful contribution in all spheres of society.
York Business School is founded upon 5 core values:
Excellence - delivering the highest standards and rewarding excellence
Innovation - developing and incorporating new ideas and ways of operating
Enterprise - being resourceful, entrepreneurial and nurturing talent
Equality - promoting inclusivity and valuing diversity
Social responsibility - ensuring the understanding and care of people and stewardship of environmental and public resources
- To provide a unique, tailored student experience of the highest standard
- To be a research focussed Business School, committed to knowledge generation, transfer and commercialisation
- To be at the forefront of developments in management education and a major voice in the Business School community
- To facilitate the intellectual and personal development of students and staff, as core members of the learning community, and the maintenance of a stimulating and enriching academic environment
- To equip our graduates for success in the increasingly dynamic, complex and competitive business world of the 21st century
- To focus resources on building high-quality, revenue-generating academic provision
- To produce graduates that are sought after in the job market and have enduring career capital
- To continuously improve all aspects of our activities
It is our conviction that adherence to the following principles will enable us to realise our vision of being a business school educating outstanding future managers and leaders.
1. Research and teaching
The business world of the 21st century is increasingly dynamic, complex, and competitive. Globalisation and technological advancement have created the most dynamic, interconnected marketplace and today's graduates require a clear understanding of how they can add value to organisations and society within this increasingly multidimensional environment. York Business School will expose stakeholders to an inspiring blend of cutting-edge theory and practice in order to equip them with the insights, skills, creativity and confidence needed to thrive in the very real and changing world of business.
2. International orientation
The international reach of York Business School supports our commitment to diversity. Indeed, we apply a global approach to everything we do and through our global lens, we see the powerful potential of differences and collaboration. The international orientation of the School underpins the nature and delivery of courses, the composition of our student population and academic staff, our research and scholarship, and our involvement in the academic, business and professional communities.
3. Personal achievement
We strive to bring out the best in every individual, and to prepare our students for the challenges they will face in their professional careers as well as in their personal lives. Our curriculum emphasises the development of leadership, management, problem solving and ethical decision making. York Business School creates an environment whereby each stakeholder is treated as a unique entity such that the interaction with the School is tailored to meet the needs of that individual or organisation.
High value is placed on collaboration and strategic partnerships with business, professional and public sector organisations, accreditation bodies, colleges and secondary schools. These relationships enrich the curriculum, create opportunities for students, build research linkages, advance scholarship and community service, and provide distinctive, blended, work based learning programmes.