Apply for Council Tax Exemption

Full-time Students

If you are a full-time student undertaking a full-time programme of study you are exempt from Council Tax. This includes vacations.

You are a full time student for council tax purposes if your course:

  • lasts at least one calander or academic year for at least 24 weeks out of the year, and
  • involves at least 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week during term time.

Exception: If you are either the home owner or your name is on the tenancy agreement for the home and you live with one or more non-students such as a partner or a child who is not in full-time education you are liable for Council Tax but may be eligible for Council Tax Benefit.

Part-time Students

If you are a part-time student you do not qualify for exemption and you must pay Council Tax.

Full-time Students Living In York

Full-time students living in York can benefit from York Council’s online Council Tax Exemption service. York St John University, as well as the University of York and York College, have been working with York Council to make registering for discounts and exemptions from the Council Tax easier. You can apply for a discount or exemption online. There is no need to supply student certificates. If you live in a student property with students who study at places other than the three participating institutions you will need to complete and send a single form (see link below), but students from York St John University, the University of York and York College will not have to provide proof of student status.

If you move accommodation you will need to reapply at your new address.

To apply online go to York Council's Council tax webpage and follow the link for Student Discounts and Exemptions.

Full-time Students Not Living In York

Full-time students living outside the York Council area can apply for Council Tax exemption to their Council, but will need to provide them with a York St John Council Tax Exemption certificate. These are available on request from your e:Vision homepage. Certificates can normally be collected from the Student Advice Desk within 24 hours. There is no charge for this.

Full-time Students Who Have Interrupted Their Study

If you have interrupted your study because:

  • You are ill
  • You are caring for someone who is ill
  • You are still registered on your full-time course in order to retake modules/assessments which you have failed

You do not have to pay Council Tax. If you live in York you can use the online Council Tax Exemption service. If not, you can request a York St John Council Tax Exemption certificate, as above.

Exception: If these situations last for more than a year, you become liable for Council Tax.

Full-time Students Who Have Withdrawn From Study

If you have withdrawn from your studies you will no longer be exempt and you will be liable for council tax from the date of your withdrawal.

Research Students

Full time, fully registered students are eligible for Council Tax exemption. Students in their overtime period should be eligible for Council Tax exemption provided they are registered on a full time programme of study. Once a student has submitted their thesis and is classed as 'under examination' they will no longer be eligible for Council Tax exemption.

Cookie Settings