If you think you might be dyslexic or have a specific learning difference (SpLD) there is lots of support available to you.
- As a first step please book an appointment with the Study Development Team through the Student Information Desk in Holgate Student Centre (01904 876477).
The Study Development Team offer interactive workshops, a range of self-help resources and 1:1 tutorials, covering areas such as: critical thinking and writing, active reading strategies, effective note making, and dealing with deadlines. The Study Development Team can also provide support while you are waiting for an assessment of need and/or funding for your support to be approved.
You may wish to undertake dyslexia screening; there are several online screening tools available including:
- QS Dyslexia Test www.qsdyslexiatest.com
- British Dyslexia Association www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/screening
Please be aware that there is a fee to use these online screening tools.
If you undertake a screening or have any questions about support please book an appointment with the Disability Advice Team through the Student Information Desk in Holgate Student Centre. A Disability Adviser will discuss with you the various support options available to help you build the skills to succeed at university which may include:
- A formal assessment with an Educational Psychologist, which will identify your strengths and weaknesses. Please note you will need to book the appointment and cover the cost of the assessment. (For contact details, please ask the Disability Advice Team)
- Students not in receipt of DSA can create an individual learning pathway with a Study Development Tutor.
- ILS additional services, including equipment loans.
- Assistive Technology and training.
More information can be found about the above services on www.yorksj.ac.uk
Read more on our Dyslexia Factsheet (PDF,32kb)
Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) Once you have had a full assessment with an Educational Psychologist you may be eligible for additional funding to help with your studies. Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are grants which can be used to pay for this additional support.
If you need help filling out or obtaining a copy of this form please book an appointment with an adviser through the Student Advice Desk in Holgate Student Centre or come to a daily drop in.
- Study Development T: 01904 876477 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Advice Team T: 01904 876540 E: email@example.com
- Student Information Desk T: 01904 876477 E: SID@yorksj.ac.uk
- Wellbeing T: 01904876477 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
On campus Disability Assessment Centre
York St John University has a Disability Assessment Centre – the Higher York Access Centre (HYAC) – on campus. HYAC assesses study needs as part of the Disabled Students' Allowance process. If you have applied for Disabled Students Allowance and would like to book a Study Needs Assessment in York, please find more information here
HYAC is York's longest established DSA Assessment Centre and is usually able to see you for a DSA needs assessment within 3-5 working days