Money, Tools & Tips

Be prepared

Before arriving at York St John there are many things you can do to help prepare yourself for university, this can involve working and saving in the summer before you arrive, opening a student bank account and preparing a budget. 

The team run regular drop-in sessions and appointments where you can receive quick advice on all things funding.

Drop-in times

Monday & Friday 10.00am - 12.00pm

Tuesday & Thursday 2.00pm - 4.00pm

All you need to do is come to the Student Information Desk in the Holgate Student Centre during these times. 

For any students that are not based on the main York campus they can contact the team via email, telephone or a telephone appointment can be arranged.  

If you are feeling the pinch, the Student Funding Advice Team run Money Health Checks and have invested in an online money education tool, Blackbullion. If you would like to book in for a Money Health Check please contact the team to arrange an appointment. 

For more information on the York Student Support Fund & the Foodbank please visit YSJ Student Support Fund.

Useful Guides

Student Bank Accounts and Overdrafts

Student Bank Accounts and Overdrafts

Most students open a bank account before starting university and arrange an interest free overdraft. If you haven't already opened a student bank account with an interest free overdraft, you may want to look into this. Alternatively, if you do already have an interest free overdraft and you are still struggling financially it may be worth contacting your bank to see if you can increase the limit, even if this is only on a temporary basis until you receive your next financial instalment.

If you are yet to open a student bank account or would like more information, please see The Money Advice Service's 'Guide to student bank accounts'.

Please note that banks require some form of identification to prove you are a student and they may hold back any incentive, gift or overdraft facility until you have provided them with this. A confirmation letter can be obtained through your e:Vision account.

Utility Bills

If your utility bills are not included in your rent, then you are responsible for paying them. The day you move in make sure you take meter readings and provide them to your supplier. If you don’t do this you could end up paying the last tenants bills.

It would be strongly advisable that all tenants in the property should have their name on the utility bills, because if only one person is named on the bill they are liable to pay.

Providing you have your landlord or letting agents permission, you can change suppliers to get a better deal on your utility bills. The Money Advice Service offers advice and guidance on shopping around and using price comparison sites.

If you are struggling to pay your utility bills or you receive a bill you cannot afford, you need to contact your supplier as soon as possible. If you don’t pay your energy bills you could be at risk of being cut off. You will need to contact your supplier and explain your situation and ask if you can come to an agreement about how to pay off your bill. For further information and advice on this issue, please visit Citizens Advice.

Struggling financially

Struggling financially can be a significant burden for anyone. It can affect physical and mental wellbeing. For those reasons it is important to seek help. Only by admitting there is a problem and talking to someone will the situation become more manageable.

There are many ways in which the Student Funding Advice Team can help. For example, they can ensure you are in receipt of the full funding available to you from the government and YSJ via a Money Health Check. There are lots of other great tips they can provide you with, such as ensuring you have access to an interest-free overdraft, budgeting advice and access to part-time working opportunities.

The Money Advice Service have put together some University Budgeting Tips which may be of interest to students who are experiencing financial difficultly.

For more substantial debt advice, we would advise you to get in touch with one of the following charities:


The Student Funding Advice Team offer the following range of factsheets to help students resolve some of the financial queries they may have:

The following factsheets will help you if you are thinking about withdrawing or suspending your studies from the University, there are financial implications to be aware of. The actual costs will differ depending on your individual circumstances and at which point in the year you withdraw/suspend your studies.

The following factsheets are to help you if you are are struggling financially and if you are thinking of changing your course. 

Stay Fraud Smart at Uni

Barclays recently issued some data suggesting that the number of students targeted as money mules has doubled:

UK Finance and Cifas in partnership have created a campaign (Don’t Be Fooled) and a website with useful information to warn young people about the dangers of becoming a money mule:  

More advice for students can be found here on our Money Laundering, Fraud & Scams page or by visiting

Cookie Settings