Industrial action at York St John
Updates and information for students
The national Universities and Colleges Union (UCU) has planned 18 days of industrial action at universities across the country, which includes York St John University.
The dates for all possible days of industrial action are as follows:
- Wednesday 1 Feb
- Thursday 9 February, Friday 10 February
- Tuesday 14 February, Wednesday 15 February, Thursday 16 February
- Tuesday 21 February, Wednesday 22 February, Thursday 23 February
- Monday 27 February, Tuesday 28 February, Wednesday 1 March, Thursday 2 March
- Thursday 16 March, Friday 17 March
- Monday 20 March, Tuesday 21 March, and Wednesday 22 March 2023.
While any industrial action will naturally have some impact on the University’s operations, not all staff will be taking part and we will aim to keep disruption to a minimum.
Our University will remain open to provide teaching sessions, all support services and library access on these days and you should attend classes unless you hear otherwise.
We respect the right of our union member colleagues to take industrial action. York St John University, working alongside the Universities and Colleges Employers association (UCEA), which represents universities across the UK, is continuing to engage with UCU in issues relating to the dispute. Separately, York St John University has already addressed some of the issues of concern to staff by introducing cost of living support measures. We continue to build on this support and listen and respond to the needs of all staff. Enhanced staff support policies are also being introduced.
To access more information, you can:
- Speak to your academic tutor, programme director or research degree supervisor.
- Contact the School Administration Unit (SAU) if your scheduled teaching session is affected on strike days.
- Contact your Students' Union advice service firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Support Fund
Please remember that we have a range of support available if you are struggling financially. You can access this support via our Student Support Fund page or on our Cost of Living support page.
Support for you
If you're feeling any impact on your health or wellbeing, please access wellbeing support services. If you are worried about your studies, you can continue to access the library, learning resources and specialist study spaces.