Staying safe on campus
The health of our staff, students and the local community is of paramount importance as we begin this new academic year.
Your health is at the heart of these plans and we won't compromise on your safety. This means closely following national guidelines and going beyond them – applying best practice learned from organisations that are already open or opening in the weeks and months ahead.
Currently, the impact of the virus in York is very low, with infection rates below the regional and national average. However, we have to remain vigilant if we are to avoid a spike in COVID-19 cases. We trust our students and staff to take personal responsibility for maintaining a safe environment on campus. To achieve this, all university activity will have to take place as individuals remain physically distant from each other. This will inevitably have consequences for life on campus.
How we will keep you safe on campus
- We’ve placed new handwashing and hygiene stations around campus.
- A deep clean and enhanced cleaning regime will apply across campus and accommodation sites
- There’ll be new signage to make physical distancing as easy as possible and to ensure the highest standards of hygiene.
- We will operate one-way systems in corridors, staircases and at catering outlets, where possible
- The numbers allowed in any room will be limited to avoid congestion
- Rooms across campus will be re-allocated to support face-to-face teaching in smaller groups
- Some facilities will remain closed for the time being so we’re looking at alternative social spaces
- To reduce congestion on campus, staff who don’t work directly with students will continue to work mostly from home
- We will ask everyone to keep 2 metres apart to minimise risk.
- Anyone showing COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to undertake a test off-site and may have to self-isolate. We will support the track and trace process to protect others by limiting the spread of the virus
These and other measures we put in place will be under constant review to ensure our continued care and commitment to your safety.