Frequently Asked Questions

Please thoroughly read through your Contract which should answer all queries you may have regarding your time in halls at York St John University, this can be found on the 'My Contract' page.

Applying for YSJ accommodation

When should I apply for accommodation?
Applications for 2017/18 accommodation opened in Februrary. Once you have applied, your room will be allocated once you have made York St John University your firm choice.  Applications for 2018/19 are not yet open, prices for 2018/19 will be coming soon.

What happens if York St John is my insurance choice or I come through clearing?
Students holding insurance offers or students obtaining a place during the clearing process will be sent instructions on how to apply for accommodation at the point when their offer is made firm by the University.
Will my accommodation preferences be guaranteed?
While we will try to match your specific preferences it is not always possible as certain types of accommodation will be oversubscribed e.g. self-catered en-suite. It may therefore be necessary to offer you accommodation that is lower down your list of preferences.

I am a care leaver.  What can you do to support me?
York St John University is proud to have achieved the Frank Buttle Trust Quality Mark Holder and is committed to supporting students who have been in care at any time before starting their course.  We can arrange accommodation for 52 weeks of the year.  Please contact us and we can explore how we can support you.

Do you have any accommodation for families or couples?
We have self-contained studio apartments at Percy's Lane, Grays Wharf and St John Central that are suitable for couples provided that both people are York St John University students, but unfortunately we do not at the moment have any accommodation suitable for families with children.

I have additional needs because of disability or medical issues.  What extra help do you offer?
We offer a wide range of adaptations and modifications to our rooms in order to meet the additional needs of our resident students.  See Additional Accommodation Needs for further info.

Additional Preferences - Alcohol-Free, Quiet and Single Sex Accommodation

Some of our accommodation caters to specific preferences. If applying for these types of accommodation please be aware that we cannot guarantee their availability as they are subject to demand.

Alcohol-Free Flat or House: you are not permitted to store or consume any alcohol. This includes using alcohol for cooking or providing alcohol for guests. If you breach this rule then you will be moved to another flat at our discretion.

Quiet Accommodation: for students who prefer a more peaceful place to live and study. These are located in quieter areas. However we cannot guarantee the level of acceptable noise from other flats/houses.

Students in all of our accommodation must follow our Noise Policy which prohibits excessive noise between the hours of 23:00 and 07:00.

Single Sex Accommodation: all-male or all-female flats/houses. The flats/houses will be located in blocks or corridors of mixed-gender accommodation. If you are in single sex accommodation you are not permitted to have overnight guests of the other sex, however you may have visitors during the day. This rule only applies in designated single sex accommodation.

When applying for this type of accommodation you should also be aware that University staff or contractors of either gender may enter the accommodation from time to time, however you will be given advance notice.

Accommodation Offer

When will I find out what type of accommodation I have been offered?
Once you have confirmed York St John University as your firm choice, we will aim to allocate your room within two working days. In unusual circumstances, for example if we have a high number of applications, this process may take a little longer.
What do I do if I am unhappy with my offer of accommodation?
It is not possible to change the offer of accommodation at the offer stage. Applications for a room change are open from mid-October unless you have exceptional circumstances where an alternate room may be granted depending on availability.

What is my Accommodation Contract?
The accommodation contract is an extremely important document which we require all students to read and sign before they are given the keys to their university accommodation. We strongly recommend that you familiarise yourself with the contents of the agreement before signing as this lays out all your rights and responsibilities as one of our resident students. When signing your contract you are also agreeing to the information outlined in the Student Handbook 2017/18 PDF (16.3 MB) so it is important that you familiarise yourself with this also.


When can I move in to York St John University accommodation?
Arrival weekend 2017/18 is the 10 and 11 September. You will receive specific details of this weekend and you will be able to select an arrival slot after results day. Please note that it is not possible to move in earlier than this weekend but you may move in afterwards.
Can I come and look at my room before I move in?

This is difficult as other students are living in the halls and we have to respect their privacy. However you can see the accommodation on our open and visit days where we arrange tours around a selection of accommodation.

What should I bring with me?

What do I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring a full set of bedding including a duvet and pillows. You will also need to bring some cooking utensils, pots, crockery and cutlery. We do not provide kettles or irons but we do provide ironing boards. A full list of the site specific inventory is available on the site specific page.

Will I need a television licence?
If you have a television set or TV enabled computer in your rented room then you will need a television licence. The only exception to this is if you are in a joint tenancy of a private house with others, when you will only need one licence to cover the whole household. Read further advice from the TV licensing authority.
Will my belongings be insured?
All our accommodation comes with a mandatory personal possessions insurance policy.

Can I bring my car with me?
Please note that car parking at York St John University is very limited as we are a city centre campus. Car parking for students in accommodation is normally only available on health grounds; all car parking is also permit parking only.

Living at York St John University

How do I pay my rent?
Please refer to your Residence Agreement, this details all the charges and advises how and when you need to pay.
Will I have to pay Council Tax?
All full-time registered students are currently exempt from paying council tax; however, if you are living with a non-student partner you may be liable in part for the council tax charge on the property. To apply for an exemption if you are in a shared house contact the local authority.
What do I do if I can't get along with my flatmates?
Sharing a home with others for the first time sometimes isn't easy, and requires a lot of give and take. Don't let problems in the house get out of hand, but tackle them early. See the Student Advice Team's Living with Housemates Factsheet in the Student Services 'Flat Pack' for more information. 
What can I do if one of my housemates, or someone they have invited into our home, is harassing me or making comments I find abusive?
Everyone has the right to feel safe and respected in their own home. If something is making you uncomfortable please come and talk to the Student Advice Team, or alternatively you may like to speak to your RSA or the Halls manager. Click here for details of the Halls Manager's daily drop-in sessions. The University takes incidents of abuse and intolerance extremely seriously, and those who subject others to such behaviour, for whatever reason, may be putting their degree in jeopardy, leaving aside the fact that they may also have committed a criminal offence.

Contents Insurance

York St John University has arranged some contents insurance for you with Endsleigh, the No.1 student insurance provider. It is important for you to check this cover, so please follow the steps below to ensure you fully understand the protection provided.

Enter in your policy number HH1046 on the Endsleigh website to check your policy details.

Visit the review cover link to:

  • Check what is covered.
  • Check key exclusions and limitations.
  • Check your policy excess.
  • Check how to make a claim, extend and personalise your cover.

It is important to find out exactly what you are covered for as you may find that the contents cover is not sufficient and you need to extend it to protect all of your possessions both inside and outside of your room.