Information for parents and guardians
Answering your questions about our student accommodation
We know that parents, guardians, friends and family members are an integral part of the support network students have when joining York St John University.
We understand your anxiety when your loved one is moving away from home. This page can hopefully provide some comfort for you and information on the support students will receive during their time with us.
Please be aware that sometimes we are unable to talk to parents, guardians, friends and family members about specific cases due to data protection.
We might direct you to this section of the website for all of the information you will need to support your student in their application and time in our accommodation.
Supporting your child
- Encourage your son or daughter to become more independent as September approaches.
- Suggest they call or email us directly if they have any questions. This makes answering queries much easier as for data protection reasons we will need to speak to them.
- Make sure your son or daughter can use a washing machine, budget for a weekly shop and cook a few simple dishes.
- Advise them to take a look at the support the university has to offer. They can find this information on the current student pages.
- Make sure that they are familiar with emergency contact numbers and that they know yours.
Our relationship to parents, guardians and other third parties
We are unable to give any information about a student either applying for a place at university or a student currently studying at the University, to a third party, without that student’s express permission due to data protection laws.
This includes parents, guardians, spouses and siblings. We understand that this can be frustrating so in order to speed up the process we ask to speak to the student directly if they have queries that relate to their application.
For more guidance, read our guide Accommodation Friends and Family A5 (PDF, 5.9 MB)
Sending post to a student
There are a great number of students at each of our sites so clearly write on the item the students name, flat and room number, site, road name and postcode.
The addresses are as follows:
- City Residence, Haxby Road, York YO31 8JY
- Limes Court, Heworth, York, YO31 0AE
- Garden Street, Lord Mayors Walk, YO31 7EX
- The Grange: Grange House and St Marys, Ramsay Close, Huntington Road, YO31 8SU
- The Grange: Baldwin House, Cruse, Muir, Lang, Robinson and Welch, Ramsay Close, Huntington Road, YO31 8ST
- St John's Central, Carmelite Street, York YO1 7AE
Safety and security
All of our accommodation has access to 24/7 security. We take the safety of York St John University students very seriously. Apart from the University Managed Houses, all accommodation sites are covered by CCTV.
Support in accommodation
As well as the 24 hour Security Team there are Residential Support Assistants (RSAs) at each site.
These are second or third year students who are trained to provide support at the accommodation sites. Alternatively they can put the student in contact with others that can help.
It is appreciated that you may wish to help the student with issues, but it is important that issues are reported by the student themselves.