If a student has any issues whilst they are at University it is normal and expected that the first call they will make for help is to you. As a parent/carer please do not feel that you have to deal with all issues yourself as here at York St John we have many different services who can help.
All our support services are here to help our students make the most of their experience here at York St John University, not only by assisting in any problems they may be having but by also offering opportunities for students to develop new skills to enhance their CV.
The hub for student support is the Holgate Student Centre where you will find all of Student Services. Student Services work in partnership with students to help them make informed decision on various matters based on information, advice and guidance provided in different formats. We have the following teams under Student Services:
- Student Advice Team, who provide initial advice and guidance and can arrange appointments with any of the specialist teams in Student Services. They also have links with departments outside of Student Services and can give details on these.
- Student Funding Advice Team, can help with student finance issues, University fund, student hardship, benefits, employment and debt management.
- Wellbeing Team, provide a counselling service as well as wellbeing advisers who specialise in helping students with mental health problems and advice and guidance on private housing.
- Learning Support, are two teams; the Study Development team, who provide help to students with writing development and dyslexia support and the Disability Advice Team who support those with a disability and can also help with application for Disabled Students Allowance and arrange for support workers.
- Careers and Employability Team, help with finding jobs while you study and enhancing employability prospects after graduation.
The Student Advice Team should be the first point of call for any student with any issues or problems they may be experiencing. The Student Advice Team have a helpdesk situated at the centre of campus in the Holgate Student Centre. During term time the helpdesk has the following opening hours:
- Monday 8.30am - 6.00pm
- Tuesday 8.30am - 6.00pm
- Wednesday 10.00am - 6.00pm (later opening due to staff training)
- Thursday 8.30am - 6.00pm
- Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm
The Student Advice Team can also be contacted by phone or e-mail:
T: 01904 876477
Please remember that we cannot talk to parent/carers about any individual students. Please use this information to encourage students to use the services provided and seek advice.
If you want to find out more information on Student Services and individual services then click here to go to the Student Services page. You will also find links on this page to other departments outside of Student Services. The Student Advice Team is also able to put students in contact with these departments.