Art & Design courses
Interview with Portfolio Day
If you have a conditional offer for one of our Art & Design courses, you might be invited to an Interview with Portfolio Day where you can discuss your work with academic staff.
After you attend, we might make your conditional offer into an unconditional offer.
We are looking for evidence of a range of abilities including conceptual thinking, problem solving, artistic flair and experimentation with a range of media.
You could demonstrate this through a series of the following:
- Finished projects
- Digital work
- Drawings (particularly from observation)
- 3D work
- Short films and animations.
- Digital artwork for graphics, animation or games can be brought on laptops or memory sticks.
You should also bring along some written work to enable us to assess if any form of writing support is needed.
Interviews will either be from 9.00am until 13.00pm (for local applicants) or from 12.45pm until 16.45pm (for students from further afield). You will be expected to attend for the whole session. The day will include:
- Introduction to the school.
- Group session - discussing your portfolios with current staff and students.
- Tour of our workshops and studios.
- 15-20 minute interview with a member of art and design staff where you'll discuss your portfolio, discuss your UCAS application form and have chance to ask questions.
- Chance to tour the university and ask questions.
It is vital that the work in your portfolio is all your own work. Collaborative pieces should be made clear to the interviewer.
Portfolios should be carefully and cleanly presented in order to enhance the appearance of the work. Work does not have to be mounted. If you have large 2D or 3D work it is easier to bring photographs. Please ensure that your portfolio is clearly marked with your name.
Tutors may ask you about your personal statement, favourite artists, designers and exhibitions you have visited, your motivation and career aspirations.
Students who are asked to attend an interview with a portfolio will be sent an email advising them to book an interview slot on the applicant portal. There will normally be a choice of dates offered. If none of the dates are suitable for you, you should contact email@example.com