QTS Skills Tests
Professional skills tests required for Qualified Teacher Status
If you've also been invited to attend an interview with us we encourage you to pass these tests prior to interview. Applicants with passed QTS skills tests at interview will be noted.
Once you have submitted your application to study with us you will be eligible to book the skills tests via the Department of Education website. Practice tests are available on the Teaching Agency website.
The tests are managed externally and all questions should be directed to the Skills Test Team at the Teaching Agency.
If you've also been invited to attend an interview with us we strongly encourage you to pass these tests prior to interview. Applicants with passed QTS skills tests at interview will be noted.
Help and advice when taking the tests
Our best advice is to attempt the tests early and book a test as soon as you have applied for a teaching course.
Applicants that have struggled are those who have not taken a test until the last minute. This leaves little time for a retest.
Please note that the first 3 attempts are free. After that you will be required to pay a fee.
As well as attempting plenty of practice tests you should also look at some of the following resources:
- The GCSE Bitesize webpages for Maths and English.
- Passing the Professional Skills Tests for Trainee Teachers and Getting into ITT by Bruce Bond, Jim Johnson, Mark Patmore and Nina Weiss
- Passing the Numeracy Skills Test: Revised Fifth Edition (Achieving QTS Series) by Mark Patmore
- Primary Mathematics Audit and Test (Achieving QTS Series) by Mike Fletcher and Claire Mooney
- Videos available from G&A Numerical