A Masters in Business Administration (MBA) is an internationally-recognised and highly-regarded award. Whether you are already in a management position and are wanting to take your career to the next level, or aspire to leadership roles in the future, the York Business School Masters of Business Administration (MBA) has been designed to help you gain the skills, knowledge and experience you need to give yourself that competitive edge. The programme provides you with the opportunity to gain a practitioner-focused MBA, laying the foundations for a critically aware and holistic understanding of business management.
- York St John University
- Course fees
- 2019 - 20 Full-time Home & EU students: £12,000, International (non EU) students: £15,000 per annum
- Full time for 2 years
- Start date
- 2019/20 September
- subject to final approval
As a student on our MBA programme you will explore issues that have significant impact within organisations by working with others and building on both personal individual experiences and comparing and contrasting with those of cohort members. You will carry out projects and assignments designed to help you apply the theories, tools and techniques you learn. Much of the learning is developed through the establishment of collaborative learning communities of programme participants and tutors and you will become part of that community of learning. Your understanding is developed around the key skills, processes and practices of business, management and finance. Solutions to real problems are suggested, discussed and analysed within the learning community with the support of tutors and fellow learners. You will also develop a critical understanding of the issues relating to business and management, which will enhance your ability to maximise individual and organisational potential. The MBA brings together relevant contemporary academic theory and research with practical understanding of activities within organisations. This will be developed by enabling you to share knowledge, relate this to theories developed from relevant research, and learning by practical application.
Through the development of an integrated and critically aware understanding of management in the context of contemporary business issues, the programme involves you in a demanding process of personal and professional development. A distinctive element of the MBA programme is the opportunity to gain professional accreditation from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) alongside the academic award.
Special features of the programme include:
- Enables you to develop a sound understanding of the skills necessary to undertake a role in any organisation
- Reflects the aspirations in the development of responsible and ethical managers
- Supports the development in the skills of leadership in order to operate effectively and competently in an international context
- Assessment methods used to mirror organisational based activities
- Provides a supportive platform for critical reflection, through the application of academic theories to your real work situations
- Participation in active and supportive forums drawing on practical expertise
- Accreditation by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) giving you a professionally recognised qualification
- Excellent personal and academic support. You will be allocated an academic tutor to support you throughout the programme
Full-time and part-time
Full time (all compulsory)
- Dynamic Perspectives on Sustainable Business
- Leading Innovation and Cultural Change
- Business Development and Value Creation
- Global Business Strategy
- Accounting and Finance for Decision Making
- Marketing and Data Analytics
- Capstone Project
Teaching and Learning
A key part of the philosophy of the programme is that by bringing together relevant academic theory and practical experience, you can enhance your deep understanding of these elements, and develop yourself as an individual and as a leader. All modules are delivered utilising a range of teaching, learning and assessment strategies including lectures, seminars, tutorials, workshops and global café style learning activities. Each module has a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) where you and other master’s level students will be encouraged to be involved with online debate and collaborative approaches to learning. Some participants may not have been engaged in formal education for some time, and may never have studied social sciences at postgraduate level: support with study skills, conventions of academic analysis and writing will be available for you from the start of the programme module and will continue throughout your studies.
At York Business School we have a unique range of support mechanisms in place to help to foster and support learning, these include:
- A dedicated academic writing tutor that you can meet with one-to-one to develop your critical and academic writing skills
- A director of student engagement who monitors learning and development and offers pastoral care and support
- Small class sizes- seminars are capped at no more than 25 students per group
Assessment and Feedback
All modules are assessed through a programme of work undertaken whilst studying for the award. A range of assessment tools are used including presentations, critical essays, portfolios and reflective journals and case study work. Each module tutor will provide opportunities for formative assessment feedback to inform your work prior to submission. You will receive detailed feedback on assessment to help you develop and continuously improve your performance whilst on the programme. Advice will be provided in relation to development, further areas for research and guidance on how to enhance your subject knowledge.
As a postgraduate student at York Business School there are many ways that you can get involved with academic research.
- You will have the opportunity to develop your own research dissertation project for your final ‘capstone project’ should you wish to
- You can apply for our ‘students as researchers’ scheme’ and work as paid research assistant supporting the research projects of our academic staff
- You may also get involved with research projects for live companies through our York Business School Consultancy Clinic, where students work as consultants with local and national organisations
The industrial placement is designed to address the demands of the business management profession and give you a competitive edge when it comes to your career. The work placement will provide opportunities to apply knowledge and skills learnt in the taught modules, enhance communication and interpersonal skills and improve employment potential. The placement component is up to an academic year in duration, which starts after you have successfully completed the taught modules, and before the Capstone Project. During your placement, you will also work towards and complete your capstone project.
It is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure their placement. The University will offer guidance and support and recommend students to many of our partners that have expressed strong support and interest in the programme.
If you are an international student on a Tier 4 visa, your CAS will have a course duration of two years, subject to your meeting the UKVI’s standard requirements. During the placement period, you undertake an internship within a partner organisation and complete a zero-credit Placement Module. The criteria for progression to industrial placement is the successful first-time completion of the MBA taught modules with minimum 50% pass mark.
The placement year is only available to those students studying towards students on a full-time basis.
Further information on this course is available in the programme specification. Please note that the programme specification relates to course content that is currently being studied by students at the University. For new programmes, the programme specification will be made available online prior to the start of the course.
York St John University works hard to create an inclusive environment for all our students. We offer a range of disability advice services to assist students throughout their studies.
You must meet the University’s general entry criteria for postgraduate study. In addition, you must have:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, achieved at Class 2.2 or above, from an approved university or institution, and/or
- Current or recent work experience (within the last two years) appropriate to enable you to contribute to the programme.
Terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions, policies and procedures contain important information about studying at York St John University. These can be accessed through our Admissions webpages.
Visit York St John.
Discover life as a York St John student by visiting us. You’ll be able to explore our beautiful city-centre campus, meet our friendly staff and find out more about your chosen course.Visit us
Fees and funding
UK & EU 2019 / 20
The tuition fee for 2019 entry to this postgraduate course is £12,000 for full-time UK/EU, Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man students.
Part-time students will be charged per module of their study pro-rata based on the full time price of £12,000.
Postgraduate Loan: A new Postgraduate Loan is now available to help you pay for your Master’s course for students commencing in the 2019/20 academic year. Find out more about the postgraduate loan.
Overseas 2019 / 20
The tuition fee for 2019 entry to this postgraduate course is £15,000 for international students.
Due to immigration laws, International Students on a Tier 4 visa must be studying full-time. For more information about Visa requirements and Short-term study visas, please visit the International Visa and Immigration webpages.
How to Apply
You can apply directly to the course via our Apply Now links. Please select the variant of the course that you intend to undertake (e.g. full-time or part-time) as the link will take you to a customised form for the specific course. You will need to create a login and password and complete the online form. Please contact two referees in advance of submitting your application as an automated request will go out as soon as you submit, and your application will not be reviewed until both references are in place.
For any queries or assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01904 876598
Thank you for bearing with us while our online application form has been undergoing maintenance. We are pleased to confirm that it is now up and running, and you can submit your application using the link(s) above.
Ask a question
Do you have a question about this course? Fill out our form to send a question to our Admissions team. Alternatively, you can call us on 01904 876598.