The York Business School MSc in Leadership and Management is a dynamic and contextually relevant programme for those who wish to progress their careers and to develop as professionals. It is designed for those who are new to management roles, for those who are beginning to lead teams, functions and decision-making in their organisations, but also for those with limited pre-existing leadership or management experience, who wish to become leaders and managers in organisations.
- York St John University
- Course fees
- 2019 - 20 Full-time Home & EU students: £6,500, International (non EU) students: £12,750 per annum
- Full time for 1 year, part time for 2 years
- Start date
- September 2019 | January 2020
- York Business School
You will study perspectives on the concept of leadership and learn about functional topics including corporate social responsibility, coaching and data analytics. You will also study strategic planning and learn how to lead transformation and change, which is of importance in the dynamic organisations of today and tomorrow. Your knowledge will be integrated and contextualized through a range of modules, culminating in a capstone project. You will be exposed to the latest contemporary research in leadership and management to develop your critical thinking skills and develop and apply knowledge of the latest thinking.
The York Business School MSc Leadership and Management brings together relevant contemporary academic theory and research with practical understanding of activities within organisations. This will be developed by enabling you to share knowledge, relate this to theories developed from relevant research, and learning by practical application. Through the development of an integrated and critically aware understanding of management in the context of contemporary business and management issues, the programme involves you in a demanding process of personal and professional development.
A distinctive element of the MSc Leadership and Management programme is the opportunity to gain professional accreditation from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) alongside the academic award.
Special features of the programme include:
- Enables you to develop a sound understanding of the skills necessary to undertake a role in any organisation
- Reflects the aspirations in the development of responsible and ethical managers
- Supports the development in the skills of leadership and management in order to operate effectively and competently in an international context
- Assessment methods used to mirror organisational based activities
- Provides a supportive platform for critical reflection, through the application of academic theories to your real work situations
- Participation in active and supportive forums drawing on practical expertise
- Accreditation by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) giving you a professionally recognised qualification
- Excellent personal and academic support. You will be allocated an academic tutor to support you throughout the programme
- Researching Contemporary Business Issues
- Perspectives on Sustainable Business
- Leadership in Organisations
- Contemporary Theories in International Business
- Data Analytics and the Blockchain
- Perspectives on People Management
- Coaching for Success
- Driving value through Change and Cultural Management
- Capstone Project
Teaching and Learning
You will explore issues that have significant impact within organisations by working with others and building on both personal individual experiences and comparing with those of cohort members. You will carry out projects and assignments designed to help you apply the theories, tools and techniques you learn. Much of the learning is developed through the establishment of collaborative learning communities of programme participants and tutors and you will become part of that community of learning. Your understanding is developed around the key skills, processes and practices of leadership and management. Solutions to real problems are suggested, discussed and analysed within the learning community with the support of tutors and fellow learners.
Assessment and Feedback
All modules are assessed through a programme of work undertaken whilst studying for the award. A range of assessment tools are used including presentations, critical essays, portfolios and reflective journals and case study work. Each module tutor will provide opportunities for formative assessment feedback to inform your work prior to submission.
You will receive detailed feedback on assessment to help you develop and continuously improve your performance whilst on the programme. Advice will be provided in relation to development, further areas for research and guidance on how to enhance your subject knowledge.
Students of York St John University will receive the opportunity for study support including academic writing and research skills to enhance employability and career development in the field of business management.
As a postgraduate student at York Business School there are many ways that you can get involved with academic research.
- You will have the opportunity to develop your own research dissertation project for your final ‘capstone project’ should you wish to
- You can apply for our ‘students as researchers’ scheme’ and work as paid research assistant supporting the research projects of our academic staff
- You may also get involved with research projects for live companies through our York Business School Consultancy Clinic, where students work as consultants with local and national organisations
Further information on this course is available in the programme specification. Please note that the programme specification relates to course content that is currently being studied by students at the University. For new programmes, the programme specification will be made available online prior to the start of the course.
York St John University works hard to create an inclusive environment for all our students. We offer a range of disability advice services to assist students throughout their studies.
You must meet the University’s general entry criteria for postgraduate study. In addition, you must have:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, achieved at Class 2.2 or above, from an approved university or institution, and/or
- Current or recent work experience (within the last two years) appropriate to enable you to contribute to the programme.
Terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions, policies and procedures contain important information about studying at York St John University. These can be accessed through our Admissions webpages.
Visit York St John.
Discover life as a York St John student by visiting us. You’ll be able to explore our beautiful city-centre campus, meet our friendly staff and find out more about your chosen course.Visit us
Fees and funding
UK & EU 2019 / 20
The tuition fee for 2019 entry to this postgraduate course is £6,500 for full-time UK/EU, Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man students.
Part-time students will be charged per module of their study pro-rata based on the full time price of £6,500.
Postgraduate Loan: A new Postgraduate Loan is now available to help you pay for your Master’s course for students commencing in the 2019/20 academic year. Find out more about the postgraduate loan.
Overseas 2019 / 20
The tuition fee for 2019 entry to this postgraduate course is £12,750 for international students.
Due to immigration laws, International Students on a Tier 4 visa must be studying full-time. For more information about Visa requirements and Short-term study visas, please visit the International Visa and Immigration webpages.
How to Apply
You can apply directly to the course via our Apply Now links. Please select the variant of the course that you intend to undertake (e.g. full-time or part-time) as the link will take you to a customised form for the specific course. You will need to create a login and password and complete the online form. Please contact two referees in advance of submitting your application as an automated request will go out as soon as you submit, and your application will not be reviewed until both references are in place.
Ask a question
Do you have a question about this course? Fill out our form to send a question to our Admissions team. Alternatively, you can call us on 01904 876598.