Support for research students
Find out about training, services and opportunities for postgraduate researchers.
We provide support and skills development for our research community throughout your studies.
As a York St John research student you will get:
- Access to our Research Skills Development Programme and Writing Retreats.
- Use of our multidisciplinary Graduate Centre. Here you can collaborate and meet people across disciplines.
- Free attendance at our annual research conference. You will also get the chance to present your own research at it.
- Chances for PhD candidates to do teacher training. You may be able to get involved in teaching at the University.
- Opportunities to work in research groups. For example, the International Centre for Community Music (ICCM) and the Institute for Social Justice (ISJ).
- Access to public lectures hosted by the University. You may also get a chance to get involved in these lectures.
Postgraduate Researcher Training Programme
This programme covers skills and development for your whole research journey. It includes advice on:
- Project planning
- Seeking funding
- Presenting research
John Brindley Graduate Centre
Our John Brindley Graduate Centre is home to a community of active researchers. It is a social hub where you can interact with your fellow researchers, across all subject areas. This is a great way for you to learn from each other's experiences.
Our Graduate Centre has:
- Flexible workspace and lockable storage
- Internet access
- Access to general research and reference 'bench books'
- Telephone facilities for research study purposes
- Meeting room facilities
- A break-out room and kitchenette
The Graduate Centre is in Holgate 123.
Benefits for researchers
Benefits for our postgraduate researchers include:
- Access to research networks
- Relevant training in both research and teaching methodologies
- Training and development opportunities
- Financial support (see below)
Postgraduate Researchers (PGRs) and Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) can get some financial support for their research. You can use this for specific research related activity.
The Fountains Learning Centre provides library services for postgraduate researchers. We know that a single library cannot ever meet the needs of all researchers. To help support our postgraduate researchers we provide:
- Access to a range of databases and online resources
- Access to experienced subject librarians
- Inter-library loans
- Researcher level membership to SCONUL Access. This gives you access to almost all libraries at UK higher education institutions.
We work to ensure that we share our research beyond the research community.
We support public engagement with research through lecture series such as the Ebor Lectures. We also take part in the York Festival of Ideas and offer funding for public events. These events range from colloquia on Caribbean food to storytelling groups for young people.