Applying for a Postgraduate Degree is a different process from that which you may have experienced at Undergraduate level
If you studied for your Undergraduate Degree in the UK you will have applied through the UCAS system, but for Postgraduate study the application is made directly to the university, with deadlines and procedures varying between universities and courses. This may seem complicated compared to the centralised UCAS system, but these step-by-step guides will help you on your path to Postgraduate study at York St John University.
Step-by-step guide to Postgraduate applications
For Taught Postgraduate Degrees
Take a look at the range of Taught Postgraduate Degrees on offer and find your perfect course.
For Research Degrees
Before you make your application
- Visit the campus – see the university and the city for yourself and meet some current Postgraduate students
- Email email@example.com with any questions you have about the application process
- Contact your academic referees to make sure that they will be happy to provide a reference for you
If you are an International Applicant
- Check that you meet our English Language requirements
- Find out about the visa requirements you will need to consider before studying in the UK
- Find out more about the support available at York St John University, both before and after you arrive, for international students.
Making your application
Taught Postgraduate Degrees
When you are ready to apply, go to your chosen course page and click ‘apply now’ in the blue box to access the online application form.
Once you submit your application it will be reviewed by the Admissions Team. You may also be invited to an interview.
After contacting staff in the School and confirming that your research proposal can be supported, go to the online application form.
Your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Team and by the School Research Lead, who may invite you to interview.
Completing the form
To complete these forms you will need:
- Details of your qualifications
- Your employment and work experience history
- A personal statement
- Contact details for your referees
- For research candidates: a 1,500 word Research Proposal (or a 500 word personal statement for Professional Doctorates)
- For some taught courses: you may also need to submit additional material such as a portfolio.
Accepting your offer
Once a decision has been made the results of your application will be sent to you by email, including any conditions that we require you to meet as part of your offer.
Your acceptance letter will include a reply slip which you can return via post or email to accept or decline your place on the course.
Frequently Asked Questions
The processing time for Postgraduate Taught applications vary, depending on the course and information submitted. These usually vary from approx. 2-6 weeks.
The processing time for Research Degree applications is longer, and can vary further, depending on the course, time of year and Committee meeting dates. As the review process is dependent on Academic staff within a particular specialism, processing times may also be affected by staff working hours and leave.
If we require any further information regarding your application, we will contact you by email. If you are concerned about the progress of your application, please get in touch with our Admissions Team.
We are able to provide written feedback regarding an unsuccessful decision, however we are unable to do so over the phone. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any feedback.
We require certificates of your completed qualifications to ensure that you meet our entry requirements. For Postgraduate Taught Courses, we require your Degree Certificate and Transcript. If you are still in the process of completing your degree, you must provide a transcript of all completed modules and those you are yet to complete. Once you have completed your degree, we will need to receive a copy of your final certificate, unless you are a Graduate of York St John University.
For Research Degrees, we require a copy of your Masters/Degree certificates.
All certificates provided must be official and in colour. We can accept photocopies, scans and clear quality photographs sent by email. Alternatively, you can post your certificates to us or bring them onto campus for us to scan during working hours.
Usually, Postgraduate Taught applications require one Academic reference. If you have been out of study for more than three years, we can accept a thorough reference from an employer. We are unable to accept references from friends or family.
Please be aware that some of our courses do require two references, these are as follows:
- All Postgraduate Teacher Training Courses
- Occupational Therapy (pre-registration) MSc
- Physiotherapy (Pre-registration) MSc
- Contemporary Literature MA
- Contemporary Religion MA
- Counselling MA, PgDip
- Doctorate of Counselling Psychology DCounsPsy*
- All Research Degree Courses
If your course only requires one reference, please enter email@example.com into the email address for your second reference on the online application form.
Get in touch
Our Admissions Team can answer any questions you have about the application process.
T: 01904 876598