Opportunities to Learn a Language
Our language courses are open to York St John University students, staff and external participants aged over 18 years.
If you would like to receive an email once these course details are available, then please email School.email@example.com.
The online store is now open.
To register for the module, you will need to select the module you want to take and complete payment in full via the online store.
If your company is paying for your course, please email School.LL@yorksj.ac.uk.
If you are a YSJ staff member, wanting to take a course, please email School.LL@yorksj.ac.uk.
Academic Year 2017-8
Our approach to language learning is practical: classes concentrate mainly on developing speaking and listening skills, through pair or small group work, while reading and writing skills are developed through independent work outside the classroom.
By the end of the Breakthrough course you will be able to get by in a range of situations you might encounter abroad; by the end of Preliminary you will be able to make enquiries and choices and you will have a grasp of the basics of how the language works.
The Intermediate, Advanced and Proficiency level courses develop your knowledge of grammar while continuing to enhance your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills using a range of authentic materials. All the courses will introduce you to the culture of the countries involved.
Courses run for 12 weeks (including exam week).
Payment to be made in full via the online store prior to acceptance on the course.
If you have any further questions about this course, please email School.LL@yorksj.ac.uk.
Courses are assessed by a one-to-one oral assessment and the completion of a portfolio of your independent work. Your lecturer will give you help and guidance on choosing suitable materials for your independent study and will give you feedback on your work during the course. You will also receive detailed feedback after the assessment.
Please contact the School of Languages and Linguistics Administrator
T: +44 (0)1904 876507
+44 (0)1904 876050
1. A full refund will be available if:
- A course is closed due to lack of numbers
- The course time or date is changed, which means you can no longer attend.
- We receive written notification that you are no longer able to attend up to two weeks before the start date.
2. A partial refund (75%) will be available in the following circumstances:
- If you have only attended up to 2 classes within the first 2 weeks in respect of any one module.
3. In the event that a class is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. sudden staff illness, extreme weather) we will liaise with students to re-arrange the class. No refunds will be made if you cannot attend the re-arranged class.
4. Regular attendance is essential to take full advantage of our courses. If you are unable to attend a class, please complete the online absence form.