With a student population of over 20,000, there are some top bars, clubs and offers to be found in York. Plus the city centre is small enough that if you lose your mates you’ll probably find them around the next corner!
Just for fun in YorkPlay video
- City Screen, located in the centre of the city, shows the best blockbusters as well as an array of arts screenings. They offer student membership for just £15 a year, which entitles you to free tickets, drinks discounts and invitations to special events
- York has a range of large venues, York Theatre Royal, The Grand Opera House and Barbican, which get some great theatrical, musical and comedy acts to the city
- Smaller venues, such as City Screen’s Basement Bar, Fibbers and The Duchess, host live music gigs, open mic nights and comedy where there’s always something to see
- Stonegate has some awesome bars on it, Evil Eye does a mean line in Thai food as well as a crazy range of cocktails and the House of Trembling Madness has a beer shop stocking weird and wonderful creations from all over the world as well as a unique pub upstairs that has to be seen to be believed …
- There are also a number of clubs in York, Kuda (Clifford Street) and Club Salvation (George Hudson Street) both offer student discount nights or if you’re after some retro cheese there’s always Flares (Tanner Row) and Pop World (George Hudson Street)
- The Students’ Union also runs events throughout term time that won’t break the bank