York is known as the city of festivals, there’s always something going on to take part in (no, really there is!)
- York Pride takes over the city each June, with loads of activities, a parade and a party to celebrate all things LGBT at the Knavesmire next to the Racecourse
- Aesthetica Film Festival takes place annually each November, showcasing some of the world’s greatest short films including drama, music video, fashion, comedy, documentary, thrillers, animation and children’s showings
- York Food and Drink Festival is the biggest of its kind in the country, for ten days each September the city centre becomes a mecca for foodies from all over
- The JORVIK Viking Festival takes place in February, celebrating York’s illustrious Viking heritage and includes lectures, guided walks and even battle re-enactments
- You don’t need to go to Edinburgh to see top comedy, the Great Yorkshire Fringe takes place in July and attracts some fantastic comedians
For other events taking place on or around the York St John University campus, see our Events Calendar.