People come from all over to shop in York, whether you’re into great high street stores, indie, retro or vintage York has it all, just don’t spend your money all at once! York is THE place to come for some retail therapy, it’s even better when it’s just on your doorstep.
We have a wide variety of shopping available in the city centre, from big high street names to local independent shops which are great for choosing unique gifts as well as a central market and regular producer markets with local produce suppliers and artists. Just outside town York’s own Bishopthorpe Road was voted the winner of the Great British High Street award in 2015, championing independent shops and supporting local shopping. There are also three large retail parks just outside of the city, which are easily reached by public transport, as well as the Designer Outlet located on the A64, where you’ll find some great big name brand name stores offering discount prices. There are several big supermarkets within easy reach of the city centre and these are easily accessible from the University’s accommodation sites too.
How to shop 'Til you drop in YorkPlay video
Indie, retro, vintage, York has it all!
- York is host to regular vintage fairs throughout the year, including the fantastic two day Festival of Vintage held in April at York Racecourse
- Fossgate has LOADS of quirky shops, including Give the Dog a Bone for lovely gifts, Spring Espresso to perk you up en route and Bowler Vintage Clothing for some amazing retro outfits
- Gillygate is right next to York St John University and has some awesome shops, grab a sandwich from Tarts and Tidbits, a coffee or an amazing slice of cake from Café 68 on the way to Snowhome for some beautiful design-led gifts
- Bishy Road featured on the Tour de Yorkshire route in 2014 and is officially one of the UK’s BEST high streets, with everything from deli treats at The Good Food Shop and the unmissable Pig and Pastry (go early to get a seat!) you’ll be spoilt for choice
- There are lots of independent bike shops in York, as it’s super easy to navigate the city on two wheels. Bicis y Mas (Walmgate) has a fab veggie café as well as selling some rather swish bikes and Cycle Heaven has three shops in the city (York Station, Bishopthorpe Road and Hospital Fields) with a café at their large store by Millennium Bridge at Hospital Fields