York is full of history, it practically oozes out of the city walls! York has played a key part in the UK’s heritage from the Romans and the Vikings right through to the modern day.
Fall in love with YorkPlay video
Some facts you may not know about this ancient city …
- The Shambles is the oldest shopping street in Europe, it’s even mentioned in the Domesday book
- York Minster is the largest Gothic Cathedral in Northern Europe and the present building was built over a 250 year period from 1220 to 1472
- York is the most haunted city in Europe, according to the International Ghost Research Foundation
- The world famous KitKat bar was invented in York in 1935 and is still made in the city to this day. The smell of chocolate can be found wafting throughout the city, one billion KitKat bars are still made in the city each year
- York is famous for its pubs, with some of the oldest still in operation in the country. It’s rumoured that there is a pub for every day of the year in York and its surrounding villages, there are over 200 pubs within the ring road which serve an astonishing 422 different real ales, so you’ll always find something new to try