Our great facilities make York St John a fabulous place to study. With £110 million invested in our facilities over the last ten years, including a brand new Students’ Union and 57-acre sports park which both opened in 2016, we’re dedicated to giving you the best opportunities during your studies.
Reasons to love our campusPlay video
Our 11-acre site on Lord Mayor’s Walk is in a stunning setting facing the world-famous York Minster across the city walls. We strive to ensure that our students benefit from the right environment in which to study and live. Browse the below categories to find out more about the facilities at York St John University:
- Art & Design; facilities include studios, workshops, sculpture yard, printmaking studio, chemical darkroom, wood and metal workshops, installation and gallery space and digital suites equipped with Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro and more.
- Computing; facilities include specialist computer labs
- Education; facilities include a dedicated children’s library and primary teaching classrooms
- Health Sciences; facilities include biomedical science labs, physiotherapy labs
- Humanities; facilities include access to the famous Minster Library for historical texts, field trips home and abroad for Geography, access to the Yorkshire Film Archive which is based in Fountains Learning Centre on the York St John University campus
- Languages & Linguistics; facilities include a Language Laboratory
- Media & Production; facilities include media studio and editing suites, specialist software and a full range of cameras and sound equipment for location recording
- Performance; facilities include dance and drama studios, recording studios, digital audio station suites, music studios, location recording equipment, software including Pro Tools and Logic Pro
- Psychology & Counselling; virtual reality equipment, video suite for counselling session evaluation, dedicated Psychology labs
- Religion, Philosophy & Theology; access to the David Hope RE Centre which is based in Fountains Learning Centre on the York St John University campus, field trips home and abroad
- Sport; facilities include a climbing wall, sports centre, gym, strength and conditioning suite, 57-acre sports park, synthetic turf pitches
- York Business School; extensive partnerships with businesses in the region, business simulation software, links with partner institutions abroad
You can find out more information about each of our Academic Schools, including programmes, research, facilities and staff on their individual web pages.
- Group work spaces
- Quiet study zones
- PC and Mac access (some available 24 hours a day)
- Laptop Locker loans
- Individual working areas
- Free WiFi is available across the whole of Campus, via the eduroam network, which extends into the city centre in York too
- The Library has a mix of resources, both print and online, including over 2,000 e-resources which are accessible anywhere, as long as you have internet access
- Specialist subject advice is available from the Academic Liaison Librarians who run drop-in clinics, one-to-ones and are available to support you all year round
- Open seven days a week and up to 1.00am during the week, friendly staff are available at the Help Desk to support you in finding what you require
- Print Services provide printing, photocopying, document and dissertation binding, laminating and scanning. You will also find a selection of stationery at competitive prices along as well as other useful items such as USB sticks and iPhone accessories
- There are hundreds of PCs across the campus, some of which are accessible 24/7. You can use these to access your learning materials, the Virtual Learning Environment, your university e-mail and a variety of software to support you with your studies
Find out more about what Information Learning Services (ILS) offer and how they can support you throughout your studies.
- Sports centre with provision for badminton, netball, volleyball, basketball, cricket and five-a-side football
- Weekly classes run by YSJ Active on a pay-and-play basis
- Climbing wall
- Community leagues in a range of sports
- A broad-range of sports clubs to join, many of which compete in the BUCS Leagues and Cups
- Strength and conditioning suite
- NEW 57 acre sports park
- Synthetic turf pitches for football and hockey
- Grass football and rugby pitches
- Netball, basketball and futsal courts
Find out more about participating in Sport during your time at York St John University with YSJ Active or find out more about SW5, our sport participation scheme to get students into sport and wellbeing activities. There’s also more information about the sports clubs available from the Students’ Union.
Food on campus
- The main dining room on campus is City Social based in Holgate, serving wholesome dishes ranging from British classics to live theatre cooking
- Neo Pizza, based in Holgate, serves a range of fast food - ideal if you’re needing to grab a quick bite to eat
- There are coffee bars in Fountains, Holgate and De Grey which serve a range of hot and cold drinks as well as delicious cakes, pastries and items to grab and go
- The Students’ Union houses a modern bar and a café which serves Starbucks coffee and a range of snacks
Find out more about catering on campus, including menus, healthy eating and the catering card.