Mature entry offer scheme
Are you interested in returning to study? Have you been out of education for at least three years but hold a GCSE English Language at Grade C or equivalent?
At York St John University we have an outstanding record of supporting mature students in their academic success. We recognise the importance of life experience and work experience in formal learning; our mature students add invaluable diversity, strength and richness to our community.
We believe that nothing should hold people back from pursuing education. That’s why we have developed a mature student entry scheme that recognises non-traditional entry qualifications and experience.
We are looking for people who have a passion for learning and a real determination to succeed on one of our programmes.
What you need to do
- Find a programme eligible for this entry route.
- Complete a short application form including your contact information, details of any completed or partially completed qualifications, and a 250-500 word personal statement describing why you want to study with us, why you think that you would be suitable for the course and what skills and experience you will bring.
- Click submit!
What we’ll do
- We will assess your application quickly
- If you meet the qualification requirements above, we will ask you to produce a piece of work relevant to your chosen subject. For some subjects, we may also invite you in for an interview and for Art and Design courses you’ll be asked to bring in a portfolio of work.
- If successful, we will make you an offer – yes, it’s that easy!
- We will set up a quick process for you to make a formal application through UCAS – we can do this without you making a full application or paying an application fee.
- We will help you to make a student funding application.
- We will make sure that you are well supported throughout your studies with a personal tutor at the course level, small tutorial class sizes and additional support available outside of class time.
- We will be honest with you. If we think you will be capable of university study in the future but aren’t ready to complete a full degree at this time, we will offer you a foundation year to help you get back into the swing of study, or recommend you take an access course.
All of our courses are available to apply for through this scheme with the following exceptions:
- Applied Bio-sciences
- Biomedical Science
- Occupational Therapy
- ITE Primary Teaching
All of these courses have specific requirements or are accredited courses that contain specific statutory entry requirements.