At York St John we have a dedicated Student Recruitment Team to help bridge the gap between post-16 education and Higher Education.
We work in partnership with schools, colleges, careers advisors and the wider community, raising awareness of Higher Education across the region and nationally.
What we do:
Visits from York St John University to your School or College
We are happy to visit schools and colleges and talk to students on the many aspects of Higher Education. These could be general presentations such as:
- Introducing Higher Education
- Applying through UCAS
- Student Life
- Living on a budget
- Choosing the right course and institution
- Personal statements
We can sometimes arrange subject-specific presentations from members of our academic staff. To arrange a visit to your school or college please email the student recruitment team at StudentRecruitment@yorksj.ac.uk.
Visits to York St John University Campus
We welcome visits to our beautiful city centre based campus from your school or college. Campus visits are an excellent opportunity for your students to gain an insight into HE and what university is actually like. We can customise your visit to address the areas of university study that are most relevant to your students. These visits are also supported by our Student Ambassadors, providing an excellent opportunity for prospective students to find out about HE from their peers.
Visits to York St John Can include:
- Introducing Higher Education - This covers what it’s like to be a student in HE, what you can study, how to apply and what the benefits are of having a degree.
- Applying through UCAS - This workshop includes how the UCAS procedure works, when students need to apply, and what will happen once they have applied. We’ll also give hints and tips about preparing a personal statement and completing the online UCAS application form. Suitable for Years 12-13.
- Student Life - There is no better way to find out about student life than to speak to current students. Our students can either visit your school/college or we can arrange visits to York St John. This covers accommodation, the Students’ Union, student lifestyle, clubs and societies and student support. There is also an opportunity to ask questions to a student panel. Suitable for Years 12-13.
- Student Finance - Living on a Budget - This session will cover topics such as tuition fees, student loans, fee waivers and scholarships as well as tips for budgeting and managing money. There will be practical advice available on ways in which students can supplement their student loans. Suitable for Years 12-13.
- Choosing the right course and institution - Some people already know what they want to do but for many choosing what and where to study can be a bit bewildering. There are a large number of colleges and universities offering all sorts of courses. We can offer tips on what to consider when making HE choices and how to narrow down the options. Suitable for Years 12.
- Personal Statement Workshop – Writing personal statements can be one of the most daunting and complex tasks of applying to university. This session gets students to start thinking about skills, activities and experiences they are currently involved with and how this relates to HE and their chosen course. Students can play the role of admissions tutor and critique real personal statements, so they gain a feel for what they should and shouldn’t include when writing their own. Suitable for Years 12-13.
- Subject Specific Presentations - If you would like a subject specific presentation from members of our academic staff, let us know. These will give your students a taste of learning at HE level. Let us know the age of your students and we will do our best to arrange these.
- Interviews - We can hold mock university entrance interviews for your students and/or run training sessions on how to be successful at an interview for Higher Education.
Each session will be led by staff and/or students from York St John.
A Sample Year 12 programme
|10.00am||Arrival and welcome drinks|
|10.15am||Welcome and aims of the day|
|Covers health and safety and introduction to the team and schedule.|
|10.30am||Applying to University|
|Presentation about the UCAS process and activities to develop personal statement writing.|
|11.30am||Campus Tour Activity|
|A tour of our City Centre Campus from one of our current student ambassadors.|
|12.30pm||Break for Lunch|
|Students can purchase lunch from university catering facilities. Alternatively, students can consume a packed lunch in the area provided.|
|Presentation on student funding. This will cover tuition fees, student loans, fee waivers and scholarships.|
To arrange a visit, please email the student recruitment team at StudentRecruitment@yorksj.ac.uk.