2020 Welcome Guide
Becoming a student with us
Our online course about becoming a student with us is your chance to find out what university study looks like and gain the skills you need to make the most of your first few weeks with us.
This course is for you. It's for gaining practical skills to help you when you arrive. It's for discovering our IT systems and learning how to use them effectively. It's for learning skills that will help you when you start. It's time to Get ready for uni.
About the course
This course tells you everything you need to know about studying at university. From 17 August we will be publishing weekly content on Moodle to help you get ready to join us. From navigating new technology to effectively managing your time, we will cover all the key skills so you can start in September with confidence.
You will need a university login to access the course. Don't worry if you don't have that yet, you just need to follow our enrolment process to get one.
We will cover different topics over a 4 week period. You can study at your own pace, fitting it around your summer fun. You can choose which topics you want to learn about or study everything.
Take a sneak peek at the content we will be publishing:
Week 1 starting on 17 August
This week we will focus on introducing you to York St John and your new city home.
Content published this week will include:
- A welcome to York
- A day in the life of our students
- A virtual tour of our campus
- Information on how university study is different from school study and how you can prepare
- Exploring the different ways of teaching
- Finding out about different types of assessments.
Week 2 starting on 24 August
This week is all about getting set up online. With our blended learning approach, this will make sure you're set up on all the systems you need to study effectively.
This week we will cover:
- Logging into our IT systems
- Your course and Moodle
- Microsoft Teams - including live practice sessions
- An introduction to our student app, MyYSJ
- Getting started with Microsoft Office 365 - the home of your university email account
- LinkedIn Learning - discover free courses to improve your IT skills and more
- How to get more IT help if you need it.
Week 3 starting on 31 August
We'll focus on getting you ready to study this week. These are the tools and services that can really help you succeed. You will look at:
- Our library services and how they can help you
- Course reading lists and how to use them
- Time management techniques
- Tips for successful online study
- How to get more help with your studies if you need it.
Week 4 starting on 7 September
It's not long until you join us now, we can almost hear the packing of boxes as you get ready to move!
This week we will give you all the tips and tricks of studying at university. You will look at:
- Effective reading and note taking
- The different types of information and resources you can access
- How to collaborate online using Moodle, forums and Teams
- How to evaluate information and sources for your assignments.
Now it's time to join us and put all those new skills into action. This is your year. Take back 2020.
How to access the course
It's easy to access the Becoming a student with us Moodle course, just use the link below and follow these steps:
- Login to Moodle, our virtual learning environment, using your York St John University username and password
- Click on the 'enrol' button to permanently enrol yourself on the course
- You will then be able to view the course content.