Browser does not support script.

Visa and Immigration - York

Entry clearance

Applying for a Student visa from outside the UK for York Campus students.

When you apply for a Student visa (formerly called Tier 4 visas) from your home country it is called applying for Entry Clearance.

Once you have applied for and received your CAS, you can begin the process of applying for a Student visa.

Documents and Preparation

When preparing to apply for your Student Entry Clearance, please refer to this Student Visa Application Prep Checklist v4 (PDF, .2MB) for detailed information about what you will need to provide and for an overview of the application steps involved.


When applying for a Student visa, you will need to pay the following fees:

  • Visa Application Fee (Standard Service): £363
    • If you wish to use Priority Visa Service: £250 additional (from 10 May 2022)
  • Immigration Health Surcharge: this currently stands at £470 per year of study. This fee must be paid as part of the visa application process. Paying this will generate an IHS number for you which will give you access to the National Health Service in the UK.

Other Requirements

Most students who apply outside the UK will probably have to undertake a Credibility Interview as part of the application process. It is essential that students know detailed information about their programmes of study before undertaking a Credibility Interview. All students should find their course of study and view the programme specification, available through the York St John University website.

Tuberculosis (TB) Tests: students from some countries must provide TB test results when making a Student visa application: Countries where you need a TB test for your UK visa application

The initial steps of the visa application are done online. You will need to visit this UK Visas and Immigration page to find out more information and create an account with AccessUK.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Delivery in the UK

When your visa is granted in your home country, you will receive an Entry Clearance Vignette sticker in your passport.

This is valid for 30 days (or possibly 90 days due to COVID-19) and you must travel to the UK within that 30 or 90 day period. Once you are in the UK, you will need to collect your BRP card because this card is your visa for the duration of your course of study.

York St John University (York campus only) is an Alternative Collection Location, meaning your BRP card can be delivered to campus instead of to a Post Office. To do this, our Alternative Collection code must be used on your visa application (this code will be provided with your CAS documents).

European students

Please note that EU students who hold biometric passports will not require a biometrics appointment as part of the Student Visa application process. You will receive your visa application result by email along with a share code for verifying your immigration status to officials in the UK. Please email your result and share code to as soon as you receive it.

IMPORTANT: e-Gates are now operational at UK airports. Please view this video to find out about who can and cannot use the e-Gates on arrival: e-Gate eligibility and use (YouTube)


If you have any questions about making a Student Visa application from outside the UK, email