Professional and short courses
Introduction to Counselling Children and Young People
Build on your existing counselling skills and gain practical knowledge that will enable you to start working with children and young people.
On this course you will develop the basic skills needed to start working with children and young people. This course is for qualified counsellors wishing to begin working towards a qualification in counselling children and young people. It is also appropriate for students wishing to undertake some of their placement hours with children or young people.
- Course leader – John Bradley
- Duration – 4 days
Dates and times
Monday 5 February 2024
Monday 12 February 2024
Monday 4 March 2024
Monday 11 March 2024
£400 per person
Who is this course for?
- Counsellors in training, who are enrolled on an adult course (at least Level 4 qualification) and are considering working with children and young people.
- Counsellors in training, who are enrolled on an adult course (at least Level 4 qualification) and are about to start a counselling placement working with children and young people.
- Qualified adult counsellors, who are thinking about working with children and young people.
What will I learn?
You will learn the skills needed to communicate with clients of different ages and developmental stages. You will also gain a new self awareness in relation to counselling children and young people.
Some of the additional skills you will gain include the ability to:
- Identify and assess potential risk, and know how to act if a child or young person is at risk
- Demonstrate an understanding of how mental health difficulties can emerge and present in children and young people
- Critically appraise the impact that different organisational contexts can have on children and young people’s counselling services, and know how to manage any ethical tensions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of working collaboratively with other professionals
How will I learn?
This course will take place across 4 days, with teaching from 9.30am to 4.30pm each day.
The content is based on the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy's (BACP) counselling children and young people (4 to 18 years old) curriculum.
- Child and adolescent development and transitions
- Communication with young people
- Mental health and young people
- Risk assessments
- Ethical and professional practice
- Child protection and safeguarding
- Working within the context of the counselling setting
- Beginnings and endings with young people
How will I be assessed?
During the course you will be assessed through a skills practice session where you will receive feedback from the course facilitator. You will also be asked to submit a video discussing the following topics with other course participants. These topics include:
- Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Ethical and Professional Practice
- Risk Assessment
Course leader biographies
John Bradley is a person-centred counsellor, supervisor and trainer. He is a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor / Psychotherapist (Children and Young People) and BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor.
John has been offering counselling to children and young people since 1998, previously working for Youth Counselling Projects for Hull City Council and East Riding of Yorkshire Council. He has also been offering supervision since 2008, and counselling children and young people training (courses and workshops) since 2013.
John currently works in private practice as a counsellor, supervisor and trainer in Hull. He also offers counselling in a secondary school.
How to apply
To find out more about this course, please email the Business Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or book a place on our online store.
Continuing Professional Development at York St John University
Boost skills, knowledge and confidence with a professional or short course from York St John University. We offer professional learning and development opportunities for teams and individuals, from single sessions to longer courses.
To express an interest in this course, please fill in the form below with your details and we will be in touch soon.