Professional and short courses
Musculoskeletal Injection Therapy
Injection therapy plays a significant role in advanced musculoskeletal physiotherapy practice, and is used by healthcare professionals over a range of clinical areas.
Building your skills in injection therapy will enable you to deliver more efficient and seamless patient care, which is in line with current NHS policy to develop first contact practitioner provision and advanced practice roles across the NHS. The advanced clinical skills taught on this module will enhance your ability to support these developments.
- Course leader – Stephen Bailey and Dr Jonathan Thompson
- Duration – 4 days
Dates and times
Please contact us to discuss future dates
£1,166 per person
Who is this course for?
This short course is aimed at health professionals working in a health and social care setting with a desire to build on their knowledge and practical experience. This includes:
- Physiotherapist working within a musculoskeletal setting
- Nurse practitioners
What will I learn?
You will learn to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of pharmacology related to joint and soft tissue injections in musculoskeletal practice
- Demonstrate the knowledge and application of safe, effective practice for joint and soft tissue injection techniques
- Critically explore the evidence related to this mode of management
- Evaluate the professional issues related to the practice of injection therapy
Study days will take place from 9.30am to 4pm.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through:
- A 3,000 word portfolio of reflection (50%)
- A poster presentation, evaluating current evidence on the use of corticosteroid injections on a particular pathology (50%)
- Completion of 10 successful Injections (authorised by mentor)
How will my employer benefit?
Enhanced skills in musculoskeletal care and injection therapy help to advance professional practice for people working as healthcare providers.
Course leader biographies
Stephen Bailey, Senior Lecturer and Development Lead in Physiotherapy
Stephen's previous role as Extended Scope Practitioner in MSK revolved around diagnosis and treatment for complex patients, often utilising injection therapy as an adjunct to treatment. His specialist Interests are in Advanced Clinical Practice and emerging roles within physiotherapy.
Dr Jon Thompson, Senior Lecturer in Physiotherapy
Dr Jon Thompson is a Senior Lecturer and former Consultant Physiotherapist within MSK. He has over 20 years’ experience utilising injection therapy. His PhD thesis focused on Advanced Physiotherapy Practice and he is heavily involved in research both nationally and internationally.
How to apply
Applications are not yet open for this course.
We expect them to be open by the end of December 2023. You will then be able to apply from this page.