Students with additional requirements
We are here to make sure your accommodation needs are met.
We help students with a wide range of needs find the right accommodation for them.
If you have a disability, health concern, or other specific need we are here to help. The more information we have and the earlier we are aware of your needs, the more able we are to provide you with a room that suits you.
When you apply for accommodation it is important to fill in the additional requirements form, even if you think the type of room you have applied for will meet your needs. This allows us to make sure everything is in place for you.
Who we work with
We can provide help for students with a wide range of additional needs, including:
- Sight, hearing or mobility impairments
- Diagnosed physical health conditions or disabilities
- Diagnosed mental health conditions
- Health conditions that need specific medication storage
- Medical dietary requirements
- Religious or wellbeing needs
- Height over 6’3”
We do not make adjustments for personal room or site preferences, non-medical dietary restrictions, or personal financial circumstances.
The support we provide
Available support includes:
- Provision of a fridge for storage of medication
- Larger beds
- Single sex accommodation
- Alcohol free accommodation
- Ensuite rooms
- Provision of a second room for a carer (funded by social services)
- Accessible rooms with appropriate bathroom facilities
To apply for additional accommodation requirements please fill in the additional accommodation requirements application form.
How to apply
Complete the application form
The Accommodation Hub application form asks about additional requirements.
If applicable, please tick the box that indicates you have an additional requirement. Then complete the form and provide any supporting evidence to email@example.com.
Provide supporting evidence
When making an application you need to provide supporting evidence of additional needs. You also need to let us know who we can share that evidence with.
Any evidence from a medical professional should be:
- The practitioner’s own diagnosis
- Up to date and in the English language
- Specific to your accommodation needs.
If you would like us to talk to a third party, such as a parent or carer, you will need to provide written consent. Send your consent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The email should include the following:
- Name and student number
- Name of person(s) you are happy to share information with
- Length of time of permission, such as the duration of the application period.
Therapy and assistance animals
Students wishing to bring with them an animal that provides physical assistance and or emotional support will need to complete a request form for consideration.
The Accommodation team will review your application and the supporting evidence provided. We will keep you informed of the status of your application by email.
Sufficient evidence provided: Your application will be provided and an appropriate room allocated to you. If you have particularly complex needs then we will discuss this with you further. This may be alongside other university services such as the Disability Advice Team.
Further evidence required: You will need to provide additional evidence within a given timescale.
Insufficient evidence: Your request will be rejected. Your application will be processed in the normal way but will not be prioritised.