Browser does not support script.

Visa and Immigration - York

Leave to remain

Applying for a Student visa from inside the UK for York Campus students.

If you are joining York St John University from another UK institution (switching sponsors) or if you are applying for a visa extension to finish your current studies, this is called applying for Leave to Remain.

You will require a new CAS for an in-country visa application, so be sure you submit a new to

Leave to Remain (visa extension) applications are made online and you will need to ensure you have the following documents available:

  • Passport and any previous visa(s)
  • Original academic certificates (and any relevant translations)
  • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable)
  • Bank statement, evidencing:
    • £9,207 maintenance funds
    • Any unpaid tuition fees
    • Money must be held for at least 28 consecutive days
    • Balance end date cannot be more than 30 days old
  • Credit or debit card for paying the online fees:
    • Immigration Health Surcharge: £470 per year of study
    • Visa application fee: £490 (Standard Service)

Once your form is completed and paid for, you will submit your application online and make a biometrics appointment yourself.

For more information about applying for Student Visa Leave to Remain, please see the UK Visas and Immigration website.

UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs)

Students seeking advice about their in-UK applications can also contact the UKCISA helpline.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday from 1.00pm to 4.00pm.

UKCISA Helpline number: 0207 1079922 (from within the UK only)

The UKCISA website also provides helpful and up to date information for international students.

Important Advisory for International Students: Fraud and Scams

Unfortunately, there are individuals who seek to exploit international students who are trying to study in the UK.

The Home Office has compiled some information about what to watch out for with regard to possible scams, please view their website to read this important information: Fraud tricks and scams guidance.


If you have any questions about making a Student Visa application from inside the UK, or if you wish to set up an appointment to speak to an advisor, email