Browser does not support script.

Health and wellbeing

Access health services

Healthcare in the UK is provided by the National Health Service (NHS). NHS health services are usually accessed through your local doctor or General Practitioner (GP).

NHS eligibility

Any resident in the UK is eligible for free NHS General Practice (GP) healthcare and Accident and Emergency (A&E) healthcare.

If you are an international student and have paid the Health Surcharge as part of your visa application you will be covered for free NHS healthcare. If you have not paid this surcharge you will need to take out private health insurance.  To find out more about being an international student and healthcare in the UK visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Getting registered

Registering with a local doctor or General Practitioner (GP) practice will make sure you are able to access healthcare when you need to. They are usually the first health service you should contact when you are experiencing a problem and can provide support for mental or physical health.

Please don’t wait until you are unwell to register with a GP.

Find a doctor

You can find a GP using the NHS's Find a GP services search. Enter your term time postcode to find a practice near your accommodation.

If you are based on our York campus and live in York, you can register online for the Student Health Centre. If you choose to register you can still visit your normal doctor at your home address, but you may have to be registered as a temporary resident.

Student health centre York

How to register

You will usually need to complete a registration form, which you can complete in advance. There will usually be a receptionist at your local practice who will be able to explain what you need to do. If you are from the UK, it is helpful if you are able to provide your NHS number.

International students will need to show their offer letter or enrolment letter to prove they are a student or obtain a proof of enrolment letter. You will also need to pay a surcharge upfront to be able to access NHS services, you can find out how much surcharge you will need to pay here.

Making an appointment

Each GP practice has its own system for making appointments. You may be able to book online, via the NHS app, by phone or in person. Make sure you know how to book an appointment with your GP practice. The practice should have details of what to do on their website or you can ask the receptionist.

NHS app

You can use the NHS app to check your symptoms and get instant advice, book appointments, order repeat prescriptions, view your GP medical record and more.

Login to the NHS app

NHS 111 (England and Wales)

If you think you need medical help right now, 111 online can tell you what to do next. You can also phone for advice:

If you are living in Scotland, call NHS 24 on 08454 242 424.

Other healthcare services

The NHS provides a range of different services including dentists, sexual health clinics and pharmacies. You can also contact NHS 111 for advice on the best service to meet your needs.

Close up of top floor of De Grey building exterior against blue sky

Student health centre

Students walking across path in front of campus

Wellbeing support

Roof of campus building in front of blue sky

Need help now