Lecturer in Coaching Science and Course Leader
I have a real passion for developing athletic performance and reducing injury risk and educating others on the challenges involved with doing this. As a Lecturer with extensive applied experience in professional Rugby League and Football, I attempt to educate students from a practical perspective to facilitate sound application of contemporary empirical research.
I hold a post-graduate certificate in education (PGCE), a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) an accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach (UKSCA) and Sport and Exercise Scientist (BASES, CSci).
I teach a range of modules including Injury Prevention, Sports Injury Rehabilitation and Athletic Development and also supervise final year undergraduate and MSc dissertations.
My line of research explores the associations between biological maturity training load in youth athletes with a view to providing guidelines for training prescription and injury risk management during this key developmental period. Additionally, I have a keen interest in injury prevention research within team sports.
- Salter, J., De Ste Croix, M., Hughes, J., Weston, M. and Towlson, C. (2020). Monitoring practices of training load and biological maturity in UK soccer academies. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, in-press
- Salter, J. (2015). Strength and Conditioning in Youth Football: Are we maximising potential? Co-Kinetic, 16, 20-24.
- 'Relationships between internal and external training loads in elite level adolescent soccer.' presented at Isokinetic The Future of Football Medicine€, May 2017 at Camp Nou Stadium, Barcelona.
- Conference Proceedings €'Limited accuracy of the SAFT90 to adequately replicate soccer-specific match demands.' presented at Isokinetic Conference€, June 2018 at Camp Nou Stadium, Barcelona.
- Conference Proceedings €'Current trends in monitoring training load and biological maturation in elite adolescent soccer.' presented at ECSS Conference€, July 2018 at Dublin Conference Centre, Dublin
My applied experience initially started at Barnsley FC as Sport Scientist, then to York City Knights RLFC as Strength and Conditioning coach and Middlesbrough FC as Athlete Development Coach. Alongside my role at YSJU I am involved with the physical preparation of the Team GB Men’s Senior Goalball squad ahead of their European and Paralympic campaigns in the coming years.
I teach on:
BSc Sport & Exercise Therapy
MSci Sport & Exercise Therapy
MSci Spor & Exercise Science
MA PE & Sports Coaching