General Things To Do
Download the first few days checklist (PDF 62.2kB)
- Contact home and let your family know you have arrived safely
- Collect your keys and move into your accommodation
- Collect your International Welcome Pack. This features an international student guidebook that is full of useful information
- Complete your Online Enrolment (if you have not already done this).
- Attend the Student Information Desk before you enrol to get your Visa and Passport scanned by a member of our International Team
- Attend your in-person Enrolment session and collect your Student Card
- To open a UK bank account you will need to request a Bank Letter from the Student Information Desk once you have completed enrolment. More information Banking in the UK
- Register with the Medical Centre on campus (if you are studying here for more than six months or are from Switzerland or an EEA country)
- Register with the North Yorkshire Police, if your visa requires. You must complete Police Registration within 7 days of entry into the UK as a condition of your visa
- Get insurance for your possessions, if you live in private accommodation. If you live in University accommodation, insurance is included
- Visit the Students’ Union (SU)and get familiar with the SU’s clubs and societies
- Explore the city of York and get to know York St John’s campus
- Attend as many welcome events as you can, including the SU Fresher’s Fair and International Student Welcome Reception
Undergraduate, Postgraduate or Study Abroad
Download the UG PG Study abroad checklist (PDF 28.9kB)
Academic Welcome Week timetables
It is essential that you print a copy of your academic welcome week timetable before you come to the UK. You must attend all of your academic sessions and meet your academic faculty staff. To access a copy of your academic welcome week timetable, go to the Online Timetable:
- Click on Undergraduate Programmes if you are doing a bachelor’s degree or Top-up Year or ‘Postgraduate Programmes’ if you are doing a master’s degree.
- Click on your programme, for example, Business Management
- On the right-hand side of the page, click on ‘Download my Welcome Week Timetable’
- Visit the Finance Office to pay the remainder of your tuition fees (the second 50% of your fees) and your accommodation fee.
Download the Pre-sessional checklist (PDF 25.7kB)
York St John International/University Staff will meet you at your University residence to walk you onto Campus as a Group.
If you are staying in homestay accommodation your host(s) will accompany you to Campus, to help familiarise you with bus routes and journey planning and times from their home.
Please remember to bring with you on you first day your passport and two passport sized photographs of yourself for your enrolment.
Things to do
- Collect your Pre-Sessional Course Folder
- Attend your IT Enrolment Session as this will give you access to the University Library
- Collect your Student Card
- Attend your International Orientation Presentation
- Pick up your Student Card, Bank Letter, and get your BRP scanned at the Student Advice Desk
- Collect your Pre-Sessional Course Folder (this will be given to you on your first day)
- Attend all sessions during Pre-Sessional Welcome Week
Download the General English checklist (PDF 44.5kB)
Come to our Main Reception Area in the Holgate Building for 09:00am promptly. A member of staff will meet you here. Attend your Welcome Talk with David Garfield, our International Programmes Manager and ask as many questions as you like.
If you are staying with a Homestay Host, your host will accompany you into the University to help familiarise you with the bus route to and from the home and campus. Please be sure that you bring your passport and two passport sized photographs with you on your first day for your enrolment.
Also attend your Placement Test to determine your level of English. This will help us in assigning you to your classes
Things to do
- Check out the Dining Room at break time to meet new friends and existing students
- Pick up your Student Card and IT account information
- Attend your York St John Campus Tour
- Exchange mobile telephone numbers with your Host, should you need to contact them for assistance over the first few days as you settle in.