General Things To Do
Download the First Few Days Checklist (PDF, 58KB)
- Contact home and let your family know you have arrived safely.
- If staying in YSJ accommodation, collect your keys and move into your accommodation.
- Collect your International Welcome Pack from the International Student Support Team. This features an international student guidebook that is full of useful information.
- Complete your Online Enrolment if you have not already done this.
- Attend your in-person Enrolment Session and collect your student ID card. Make sure you have your passport scanned at the Student Information Desk in Holgate before attending your enrolment session.
- Attend all sessions on your Welcome Week timetable.
- Open a UK bank account (if applicable). To do this you will need to request a Bank Letter from the Student Information Desk once you have completed enrolment. More information can be found on our Banking Information Sheet (PDF, 80KB).
- Register with the Medical Centre on campus if you are studying here for more than six months or are from Switzerland or an EEA country.
- Register with the North Yorkshire Police if this is a condition of your visa.You must complete Police Registration within 7 days of entry into the UK.
- Get insurance for your possessions if you live in private accommodation. If you live in University accommodation, insurance is included.
- Visit the Finance Office to pay the remainder of your tuition fees (if applicable - the second 50% of your fees) and your accommodation fee.
- Visit the Students’ Union (SU) and get familiar with the SU’s clubs and societies.
- Explore the city of York and get to know York St John’s campus.
- Attend as many welcome events as you can, including the SU Fresher’s Fair and International Student Welcome Reception. Check your International Orientation Schedule for more events.
Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Study Abroad & Exchange students
Welcome Week Timetable - Study Abroad and Exchange students:
You have one welcome week schedule, which is available on the university's Welcome Pages (the International Orientation Schedule). This will also be emailed to you in the week before you arrive at YSJ University.
Welcome Week Timetable - Undergraduate and Postgraduate students:
You have two welcome week schedules:
- The International Orientation schedule
- Your Academic Welcome Week schedule
Your International Orientation schedule will be emailed to you before you arrive. Your Academic Welcome Week schedule will be available a couple weeks before you start on the university's .
Welcome Week timetable:
Your timetable will be emailed to you. Look out for emails from the International Student Support Team.
York St John University staff will meet you at your university residence to walk you onto campus as a group. Please remember to bring your passport and two passport sized photographs of yourself with you for enrolment on your first day.
General English students
If you are starting a General English course with us, your welcome programme will be managed by the International Programmes team. You don't need to access a welcome timetable in advance, just make sure you arrive on time on your first day.
Meet at the main reception of Holgate at 9.00am, where a member of staff from International Programmes will meet you. This will be followed by a welcome talk from our International Programmes Manager, where you can ask as many questions as you like.
If you are staying with a Homestay Host, your host will accompany you to the university to help familiarise you with the bus route to and from campus. Please be sure that you bring your passport and two passport sized photographs with you on your first day for enrolment.
First few days
During your first few days you will:
- Complete a Placement Test to determine your level of English
- Attend an International Orientation session with the International Student Support team
- Be given a welcome pack with lots of useful information about life at YSJ University
- Complete your enrolment and be given a studen ID card
- Attend a campus tour
Other things to do
- Exchange mobile telephone numbers with your homestay host, so you can contact them for assistance if you need to
- Visit the Dining Room at break times to meet other YSJ students