2020 Welcome Guide
Some call it Fresher's, we call it Welcome Week.
Our priority is to keep you safe while giving you an experience you will always remember. For us, it's about welcoming you to campus and to our community. For you, it's about the start of a brilliant year. Welcome to the family.
Welcome Week timetables
Your Welcome Week timetable will tell you when you can be on campus in the first week. This will include times to meet your tutors and your classmates, to explore the facilities and find your way around. We will also timetable social activities to manage the number of people on campus.
2020, it's the year of YSJFest
This year we are taking Welcome Week outside. Let's enjoy the last of the summer sun and get to know each other. In addition to the online events we have planned, we want you to experience the York St John community in all its glory. YSJFest lets you do that.
- Information cabins to find out about our university support services
- Student meetups hosted by the Students' Union
- Sport and society fairs showing you all the clubs we have on offer
- Evening entertainment provided by the Students' Union
- Retail fairs to buy things to decorate your room
- Open-air cinema screenings
- A quiet café for if you need some downtime
- Online welcome sessions with interactive games.
We will also have:
- Socially distanced outdoor seating with picnic rugs and deckchairs and gazebos
- Photo opportunities with props and a giant deck chair
- Street food pop-ups with cooking demonstrations.
Your Festival survival kit
No festival is complete without a survival kit and freebies. When you arrive you will receive your YSJFest wristband of a pack containing:
- A poncho, in case it rains
- Hand sanitiser
Safety and social distancing on campus
Your safety is our priority, so you will need to wear a face covering while you are on campus. Our student ambassadors will be on hand to make sure you are safe, so please follow their guidance.
YSJ Fest activities have been planned with considerable safety measures in place and have been adjusted further to ensure we can comply with latest government guidance. It is illegal to gather in groups over 6 people and you are responsible for adhering to this national guidance. Please follow the safety measures we have put in place to keep you and our community safe.
To read more about Covid safe measures at York St John visit our Staying safe on campus page.
Sign up for MyYSJ your personalised student app as soon as you’ve got your university login details to download your Welcome Week Guide.