Prison Partnership Project
On the Out
On the Out is a York St John University Prison Partnership Project community initiative, in association with the Institute for Social Justice.
On the Out engages with communities of at risk women and girls in the city of York.
The project enables creative work with at risk women and girls in the community with experiences of homelessness and/or the criminal justice system.
In the sessions women and girls explore theatre, creative arts, writing, movement and performance alongside York St John University School of the Arts staff and students.
Participants explore different themes and create individual and group performance responses with a desire to develop social and communications skills, confidence and self-esteem. Women are encouraged to explore the artistic roles of performer, writer, director, facilitator and artist.
On the Out project aims to find new ways for female communities to access the university resource and community with a hope for meaningful conversation and effective creative collaboration.
Undergraduate and postgraduate School of the Arts students access these vibrant community projects through module placements, research, teaching and learning.
Hear more about our work on this project on the Conversations in Social Justice podcast:
- Prison Partnership Project 1: On the Out (anchor.fm)
- Prison Partnership Project 2: Art and Criminal Justice (anchor.fm)
- Prison Partnership Project 3: Prison Placements and the Student Experience (anchor.fm)
For more information or to discuss how On the Out can connect with your women's service contact:
- Paula Clark, Theatre Practitioner and Research Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Robson, Theatre Practitioner and Research Assistant: email@example.com
Who we collaborate with
- Changing Lives (Robinson Court) – Women's homeless hostel
- Howe Hill - Young people's homeless hostel
- Danesgate Community Pupil Referral Unit
- York High School
On the Out Assistant Researcher/ Theatre Practitioner
Jules Dorey Richmond
Senior Lecturer: Drama and Theatre
Director of the Prison Partnership Project, Senior Lecturer in Drama and Theatre