International student support
First few days
What to do in your first few days at York St John University.
There is a lot to do in your first few days at York St John.
Work through the information on this page to make sure you don’t miss anything important.
Get settled into life in the UK
- Contact home and let your family know you have arrived safely.
- Register online with the North Yorkshire Police if this is a condition of your visa. You must complete Police Registration within 7 days of entry into the UK.
- Register with the Student Health Centre. Go to www.yorkstudenthealthcentre.co.uk/ to register online.
- Collect your International Welcome Pack from the International Student Support Team. This includes lots of goodies and useful information.
- Contact the visa team on email@example.com to collect your BRP card (if applicable).
- Explore the city of York. Have a look at the tourist guide in your welcome pack for some ideas. We will send you the Global Bulletin email each week with more information about events on campus, things to do in York, and news and advice for international students.
Sort your finances
- Visit the Finance Office to pay the remainder of your tuition fees (if applicable) and your accommodation fees.
- Open a UK bank account (if necessary). Once you have completed enrolment and collected your BRP card (if applicable), you will need to log into e:vision to request a bank letter from the Student Information Desk. Read the Banking in the UK guide in your welcome pack for guidance.
- Get insurance for your possessions if you live in private accommodation. If you live in university accommodation, insurance is included.
Prepare for your course
- Complete your online enrolment if you have not already done this – if possible, you should do this before travelling to the UK.
- Find your academic timetable on timetable.yorksj.ac.uk/Timetable and sign into Moodle to access course materials.
- Find your International Welcome and Orientation schedule in your welcome pack and make sure you attend all sessions.
- Visit York St John Students’ Union for this years’ Freshers Week timetable and to get involved with the SU’s clubs and societies.
Timetable and course information
Undergraduate and postgraduate students
You have two welcome week schedules:
- The International Orientation schedule
- Your Academic Welcome Week schedule
Your International Orientation schedule will be emailed to you before you arrive. Your Academic Welcome Week schedule will be available a couple of weeks before you start university.
Study Abroad and Exchange students
You have 1 welcome week schedule.
This will also be emailed to you in the week before you arrive at York St John University.
Welcome Week timetable
Your timetable will be emailed to you. Look out for emails from the International Student Support Team.
York St John University staff will meet you at your university residence to walk you onto campus as a group.
Please remember to bring your passport and two passport sized photographs of yourself with you for enrolment on your first day.
If you are starting a General English course with us, your welcome programme will be managed by the International Programmes team. You don't need to access a welcome timetable in advance, just make sure you arrive on time on your first day.
Meet at the main reception of Holgate at 9:00am, where a member of staff from International Programmes will meet you. This will be followed by a welcome talk from our International Programmes Manager, where you can ask as many questions as you like.
If you are staying with a Homestay Host, your host will accompany you to the university to help familiarise you with the bus route to and from campus. Please be sure that you bring your passport and two passport sized photographs with you on your first day for enrolment.
First few days
During your first few days you will:
- Complete a Placement Test to determine your level of English
- Attend an International Orientation session with the International Student Support team
- Get your welcome pack with lots of useful information about life at YSJ University
- Complete your enrolment and get your student ID card
- Attend a campus tour.
Other things to do
- Exchange mobile telephone numbers with your Homestay Host, so you can contact them for assistance if you need to
- Visit the Dining Room at break times to meet other YSJ students.