Plan your journey
Be Covid aware! Whilst international travel has resumed a relatively normal service, anything can change at any time. For a quick check to see if there are any problems traveling form your country, visit the UK Government’s guidance for entering the UK.
eGates are now in use at UK airports. If you are travelling on a short-term study visa you must not use the eGates. Please watch this video and make sure you understand whether you are able to use the eGates. If you have an emergency at the UK border, you can call our Visa and Compliance Team on 0044 (0)7773 043159.
When you arrive at YSJ, we will be on hand at our Welcome Desk (on selected dates) and will help show you around campus, give you accommodation keys and generally help you to settle in. There will be a full orientation session as well. More information on this will follow, so keep an eye out on your emails.
We understand that international travel can be unpredictable at times, can easily get delayed, or you may have to arrive outside of working hours. If you arrive out of hours, please go to the Security Lodge, which is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Contact details are on the Security Services webpage.
When it comes to packing, it’s up to you how much or little you bring with you! York has all the shops you could need so you can buy anything within the city centre. If you have particular clothes you wear in your home country it is always nice if you can bring at least one outfit with you, to wear at some of our international events and celebrations.
We’ve compiled a very simple list of packing tips that you may find helpful:
Checked in bags
- Find out what you can and cannot bring into the UK by watching this UK Customs film.
- Try to pack only what you will really need.
- Check your airline’s baggage and weight allowance in advance.
- It’s worth packing a few adapters for your electronic devices. In the UK, the main voltage is 240v and the frequency is 50Hz.
- Label all your checked bags with the University address, so in case they get lost or delayed, they can be easily forwarded on to us: Your name, York St John University (Porter’s Lodge), Lord Mayor’s Walk, York, YO31 7EX, United Kingdom.
- Always carry valuable items and documents in your carry-on bag.
- Remember your passport and tickets. It’s worth taking photos on your phone and printing off copies, in case you misplace the originals. Keep a copy yourself and give one to a parent or carer.
- Keep evidence of acceptance by York St John University (unconditional offer letter or similar acceptance letter) at hand.
- Make sure you have some British pounds sterling in cash that you can use upon arrival. Try to get your money broken down as small as possible (£5 notes, £1 coins, and a few 50p, 20p, 10p coins).
- It’s good to have a few spare passport-sized photographs with you, as you may need these for different registration forms after you arrive.
- It is worth packing your toothbrush and one change of clothes in your hand luggage, just in case your checked bags get delayed or lost! But remember not to put any large liquids, gels, or aerosols in your carry-on bags! The size limit is 100ml