Religion and Spirituality
Buddhist activities in the City of York
Many York students have visited the groups listed below – some for only one or two meetings, while others have become long-term regular members. Please click on the menu options below to view more.
Buddhist activities near York
There are other Buddhist groups or centres near to York, all within an hour’s train journey:
There are two Theravada temples in Leeds:
- Wat Buddharam Leeds (Thai tradition), near Leeds University: http://www.watbuddharamleeds.com/
- Leeds Buddhist Vihara (Sri Lankan tradition: http://www.leedsbuddhistvihara.org/
There are three from the Tibetan tradition:
- Jamyang Centre, Leeds - http://www.jamyangleeds.co.uk/
- Kagyu Samye Dzong, Scarborough - http://www.yorkshire.samye.org/
- Kagyu Dechen Dzong, Harrogate - https://www.dechen.org/
All are branches of large international networks of Tibetan monasteries and teaching centres, which draw guidance from the Dalai Lama. All are within a short walk from a railway station. All three centres periodically host talks by major Buddhist teachers, so it is worth studying the calendars on their websites.