Mature entry offer scheme
If you are looking to return to study, let us help you get there.
A mature student is someone who is returning to study after being out of education for three years or more. This usually means students who are over 21 when beginning an undergraduate degree.
We take pride in our record of supporting mature students at York St John University. Life experience and work experience are important in formal learning and bring diversity and strength to our community.
Our Mature Student Entry Scheme recognises non-traditional entry qualifications and experience alongside your university application. We are looking for people who have a passion for learning and a real determination to succeed on one of our courses.
Applying to the Mature Student Entry Scheme
What you need to do
- Find a course eligible for this entry route - details are available below.
- Complete a short application form including your contact information, details of any completed or partially completed qualifications, and a 250-500 word personal statement describing why you want to study with us, why you think that you would be suitable for the course and what skills and experience you will bring.
- Click submit!
What we’ll do
- We will assess your application quickly
- If you meet the qualification requirements, we will ask you to produce a piece of work relevant to your chosen subject. For some subjects, we may also invite you in for an interview and for Art and Design courses you'll be asked to bring in a portfolio of work.
- If successful, we will make you an offer – yes, it's that easy!
- We will set up a quick process for you to make a formal application through UCAS. We can do this without you making a full application or paying an application fee.
- We will help you to make a student funding application.
- We will make sure that you are well supported throughout your studies with a personal tutor at the course level, small tutorial class sizes and additional support available outside of class time.
- We will be honest with you. If we think you will be capable of university study in the future but are not ready to complete a full degree at this time, we will offer you a foundation year to help you get back into the swing of study, or recommend you take an access course.
All of our courses are available to apply for through this scheme with the following exceptions:
- Applied Biosciences
- Biomedical Science
- Nursing (Adult and Mental Health)
- Occupational Therapy
- ITE Primary Teaching
All of these courses have specific requirements or are accredited courses that contain specific statutory entry requirements.