Support for research students
We provide support and skills development for our research community at all stages of their degrees. Our Postgradute Researcher Training Programme covers skills and development for your whole research journey including project planning, publishing, seeking funding, and presenting research.
As a York St John University research student you will be supported through:
- Access to our Research Skills Development Programme and Writing Retreats.
- Use of our multidisciplinary Graduate Centre, so you can collaborate and meet people across disciplines.
- Free attendance at (and the chance to present at) the annual Research Reflections and Postgraduate Research Conferences.
- Opportunities for PhD candidates to undertake teacher training and get involved in teaching within the University.
- The opportunity to work within established Research Groups, such as the International Centre for Community Music (ICCM), Language and Identities in InterAction (LIdIA) and the Heritage and Arts Visitor Research Collaborative (HAVRC).
- Access to (and chance to be involved with) public lectures hosted by the University on a huge range of topics. We regularly participate in the Ebor Lectures, York Festival of Ideas and York Literary Festival.
Our interdisciplinary Graduate Centre is home to a cross-disciplinary community of active researchers. It provides a space to mix with friends and colleagues from across the university and an invaluable chance to learn from each other’s experiences. Our Graduate Centre has the following facilities:
- Flexible workspace and lockable storage
- Internet access
- Access to general research and reference ‘bench books’
- Telephone facilities for research study purposes
- Meeting room facilities
- A break-out room and kitchenette
- Social hub for interaction with fellow researchers
The following benefits are available to our postgraduate researchers:
- Access to research networks
- Relevant training in both research and teaching methodologies
- Training and development opportunities
- Financial support (see below)
Postgraduate Researchers (PGRs) and Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) can receive some financial support for their research. This can be used to contribute to specific research related activity.
The Fountains Learning Centre provides library services for York St John University postgraduate researchers. It is recognised that a single library cannot ever satisfy the needs of all researchers so to support postgraduate researchers we provide:
- Access to the range of databases and online resources
- Access to experienced subject librarians
- Inter-library loans
- Researcher level membership to SCONUL Access, which provides access to almost all libraries at UK higher education institutions.
Public events on student and staff research
We work to ensure that our research is shared beyond the research community. We support public engagement with research through lecture series such as the Ebor Lectures, by participating in the York Festival of Ideas and offering funding for public events. These events range from colloquia on Caribbean food to storytelling groups for young people.