Eligibility for postal loans and how to sign up, request and return items.
Eligibility for postal loans
You are entitled to register for our postal loans service if you live in the UK, you are a registered student studying a course based at our York campus, and you:
- Live or are on placement outside of the YO1, YO10, YO23, YO24, YO26, YO30, YO31, YO32 postcodes
- Are registered for our Accessibility Support service
- Are shielding or self-isolating due to Covid-19
We do not currently charge for the postal loan service.
If you meet the above requirements, you can register for postal loans by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the address you would like to have items sent to.
Once registered, anything you request in the library catalogue will automatically be posted to you. You will not have the option to pick up requested resources from campus. However, you can still visit the library to study, borrow non-reserved items from our shelves, or return items.
As a postal loans borrower you are entitled to have a maximum of 30 items sent to you per year.
You can request physical items using the library catalogue:
- Use your student number and PIN to log in to your library account.
- Use the search box at the top of the page to find the item you want in the catalogue.
- Select the green Request Postal Loan button on the record of the item.
Items will then be automatically posted to you as they become available. There may be a small delay if the item you have requested is on loan, but we will inform you by email if this is the case.
Printed materials, DVDs, and CDs are included in the service, but we cannot post laptops and other electronic equipment or Reference Only items.
If you require an article from one of our print journals, we can scan and send this to you as part of the postal loan service.
To submit a request for a scanned journal article please use the following Postal loan scanning request form.
You are responsible for returning books by their due date. You can do this either in person, by post, or by using our free Click Sit service.
If you use a postal service or Click Sit, you must send items back at least 1 day before their due date.
To use Click Sit, follow these steps:
- On the Click Sit site, enter your email address. This will generate a label for you to print out.
- Package up your books and attach the label carefully to the package. (Note that packages will only be accepted up to 10 kilograms and must measure a maximum of 60 centimetres x 50 centimetres x 50 centimetres. If you have too many items, please send them back in multiple packages).
- Take your package to any Collect+ location to be sent back to York St John.
Remember to keep your receipt. You will need this as evidence of your return, including the date the items were posted.
If you have any questions about this service, please email email@example.com.