Postgraduate taught module
Support for Learning in Practice
This course aims to prepare registered professionals involved with the education of students to provide effective placement learning experiences. The course provides skills and knowledge to facilitate others to develop and practice knowledge and skills in the workplace. It also prepares them to assess student competence.
- Module Code – 3PH220
- Level and Credits – Can be taken as accredited learning (Level 3, 30 credits) or non-accredited learning. This module cannot be included in a Masters course.
- Duration – Further dates TBC
Funded places are available
Health Education England funding available Funding criteria
This course can be taken as a 30 credit module, or as non-accredited CPD. At the end of the first taught day students will be asked to decide whether they want to enrol to complete the assessment, and gain APPLE accreditation. Please note that the credits no longer contribute to our MSc programmes.
Registrants are required to demonstrate continuing professional development to remain on the register. This course and the subsequent supervision of students could contribute to this thus meeting the requirements of HPC and NMC.
The course meets the requirements for accreditation with COT under the APPLE scheme. It also meets the accreditation requirements of the Society of Radiographers (SCoR).
The course consists of one day of face to face learning plus the equivalent of a day of e-learning delivered via the University's Virtual Learning Environment.
- Advance and reflect upon existing interpersonal skills, enhance effective learning and teaching and comprehensive assessment, and contribute to the involvement of others in the practice learning environment.
- Evaluate learning, teaching and mentorship theories, principles of assessment, concepts of reliability and validity.
- Critically analyse the practice setting as a learning environment and develop effective evidence based learning opportunities.
- Evaluate contribution to on-going audit and quality enhancement of the practice learning environment.
- Negotiate learning needs and use appropriate assessment strategies to offer guidance, provide feedback, facilitate and support learning and assessment, and reflect upon these processes.
- Critically reflect upon the responsibilities and boundaries of their role in supporting learning, teaching and assessment working within a legal, ethical, and professional framework cognisant of their professional accountability.
The module will be assessed by the submission of a portfolio of 4000 words, designed to enable you to demonstrate fulfilment of the learning outcomes. This is broken down into a written assignment and four reflective pieces that could be used in your portfolio of evidence of CPD.
The portfolio will enable you to reflect upon your practice as a professional practice educator and identify strategies for further development.
You will submit evidence in the form of supporting documentation in appendices.
We offer individual postgraduate modules to meet your particular CPD needs or as the beginning of your postgraduate journey to a PG Cert or MSc. Evaluating Evidence and Effecting Change is an excellent place to start, enabling you to follow the evidence based practice approach to critique evidence and apply your findings to improve your practice or service. Other modules enable you to develop as a leader or transform your practice through the application of a health coaching approach.
Need more information?
Fill out our form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.