Training for the trainer (Biomedical Science)
Improve the effectiveness of your laboratory teaching and training
This one day workshop is for trainers and those involved in laboratory training. The course will cover theories of learning and learning styles as well as training in planning, delivering and assessing. This is a course for people new to the training role or for people who want to refresh their skills and understanding.
York campus or can be delivered for organisations offsite
- Duration – One-day study day
- Start date – Contact us for further information using the form below.
Facilitators - Sue Jones and Gillian Jaggar
£95 for self-funded individuals
By attending this course you will:
- Learn the placement organisation at York St John University and also the updated IBMS portfolio to attendees.
- Gain a refresher course in the NHS hospital labs from the Yorkshire and Humber region.
Any Biomedical Scientists with training responsibility (Band 5 upwards) should attend. This course is suitable for first time attendees or as a refresher course for current trainers, including newly qualified training officers and more experienced practitioners.
What difference will it make to my attendees?
Attendees will be able to analyse learning styles and understand the updated IBMS training portfolio content. Examples of evidence that can be used will be directly useful for all attendees in their training role in the lab.
Benefits to the employee
- Each attendee to put the information covered into practice with the trainees/ placement students in their laboratory.
Benefits to the employer
- Useful information covered in the course to be disseminated to colleagues in each Trust and each Pathology training laboratory.
Course leader biographies
Sue Jones is the Subject Director for Biomedical Science at York St John University (since 2014) and previously was a Course Tutor for Biomedical Science (2009-2014). Sue has extensive experience of working with the IBMS and HCPC and is responsible for the placement year at York St John University. Sue also delivers a module for the Certificate of Expert Practice in Training for the IBMS. FIBMS, SFHEA and is a member of the HUCBMS executive committee.
Gillian Jaggar is an HCPC registered BMS, working in academia since 2009 as Course Tutor for Healthcare Science degrees and placement coordinator. Gillian is a FIBMS and Chartered Scientist her specialist area is Haematology and Transfusion Science. Gillian was previously employed as a training and development manager for Pathology in a local NHS Trust and has extensive experience in training and validating IBMS portfolios.