Browser does not support script.


Placement Year

The placements team are here to support you with your placement year. Get in touch by emailing

Undertaking a Placement Year during your studies at York St John University is an exciting opportunity for you to gain a significant amount of work experience that is recognised in the title of your degree. You will develop your employability skills whilst finding out about an area of work that interests you. The placement occurs at the end of your second year, for between 9 and 12 months. Your fees will be reduced to 15% of the annual fee value for your placement year. You will return to University to spend your fourth year completing your degree.

Should I do a placement year?

Deciding on a placement year after starting your studies

Deciding if a placement is right for you might not be something you are ready to do before you start your degree, so we give you the chance to settle in first, find your flow and decide during your first year whether a placement will work for you. To undertake the Placement Year, you will need to:

  • be enrolled on an eligible full time undergraduate course
  • and have achieved the minimum requirements for progression in Year 2

If a placement is something you want to do then our Careers, Placements and Student Opportunities Team will support you to succeed. Placement preparation sessions in your second year will be part of your timetable, helping you prepare your CV and cover letter, take part in practice interviews and assessment centres and connect with employers offering placements, as well as hearing from speakers and former students who can help you.

During your placement year our team is available at every turn to help and advise you. You'll continue to have full access to all university services and we’ll connect you with other students taking part in placements. To check if your programme is eligible, please contact your academic school or email

You should register for a placement year by the start of semester 1 in Year 2 of your programme.

To register for the Placement Year you will need to complete an application form.

Placement years for Student Visa students

If you are already registered on a programme of study that is a 'with placement' option then your existing Student Visa will take into account that you will be undertaking a placement year and therefore you do not need to apply for a visa extension.

If you are not currently registered on a 'with placement' option, then you will need to apply for an extension to your visa. Please contact the International Visa Compliance Team to discuss this.

Finding a placement

Placement preparation

During your placement

Cookie Settings