Campus and facilities
How to log in and use WiFi on our York campus.
To access eduroam, you must be a registered student or staff member. Students who have completed registration can connect immediately. If you are using a guest account then you must have changed the account password on a wired campus PC before trying to connect to eduroam WiFi.
You can access eduroam using the GetEduroam app, or by logging in manually.
Access eduroam using the app
Download the GetEduroam app using the relevant store for your device:
- Download GetEduroam on Google Play
- Download GetEduroam on Apple App Store
- Download GetEduroam from Microsoft
Once you have downloaded the app, follow these instructions:
- Start the GetEduroam app and select 'York St John University'.
- Login with your university credentials: your username (in the format 'FirstName.LastName') and your password.
- You are now connected to eduroam.
Access eduroam by manual log in
To log in to eduroam without using the app, follow these instructions:
- Select 'eduroam' from available WiFi networks on your device.
- Log in using your full York St John University email address and usual university password.
- You may need to accept or trust a certificate before you can access WiFi.
Users from York St John can also use eduroam at other institutions in the UK and abroad. Eduroam WiFi is also available in York city centre. Once set up, your device should connect automatically to eduroam WiFi whenever it is available.
For further information about eduroam, please visit the eduroam website: eduroam.org
If you change your University password, you will need to change your eduroam login, otherwise the incorrect logins can lock your account.
If your login does not work
The main cause of problems is not using the full York St John email address as the username.
Some devices may not connect automatically. For these, there is a configuration tool on the eduroam website: cat.eduroam.org
Select York St John University from the list, then download and run the installer package.
These settings should be set automatically by the eduroam installer linked above, but are included for reference. Not all settings will apply to all devices.
- Security: WPA2 Enterprise
- EAP: PEAP
- Phase 2: MSCHAPV2
- Select do not validate server certificate
- Domain: yorksj.ac.uk
The YSJ Guest WiFi network is available for temporary visitors and guests to our campus.
If you are a York St John student, please use eduroam instead of YSJ Guest. While YSJ Guest may be quicker to access, it's not meant for regular use and has limited speeds. The eduroam network has greater bandwidth and speeds, so you can access everything you need for your course faster.
To access our YSJ Guest WiFi, follow these instructions:
- Select 'YSJ Guest' from available WiFi networks on your device.
- When your device connects, select the 'Get online' option on the connection page which should automatically open.
- You are now connected to YSJ Guest.