- To call another extension – Key in the extension number
- To call the switchboard - Dial 0
- To call a number outside the University – Dial 9 followed by the number. The full STD code must be used including local calls.
- Most extensions DO NOT have international access, dial 0 for assistance.
Calls to Directory Enquiries and BT operator are restricted
Reception can provide business and residential numbers for Great Britain. Dial 0 for assistance.
Direct Dial Inward
- Dial 87 followed by the extension number. If outside York, prefix 01904
Using the phone
There is a day one guide for the first time you use your phone: Phone day 1 guide (PDF, 0.4MB)
Below is a downloadable Phone system quick guide (PDF, 0.4MB) covering the key features.
The online user phone portal is only available from wired campus computers or via the VDI remote desktop. This gives access to voicemails, faxes and settings to pair external phones e.g. mobile, to your extension.
Frequently Asked Questions
The user guide - Phone system quick guide (PDF, 0.4MB) - covers a variety of topics. Below is some additional guidance.
What do I do if I have a problem with my phone?
Phone queries regarding extensions, pick-up or hunt groups, pin resets, network issues or missing phones should be logged via our web portal or email:
The screen saver on your phone will probably be set to 5 minutes.
- On the phone, press the COG key to the left of the number pad.
- Use the round silver navigation key to move right to Display
- Press the centre select button on the silver navigation key
- Use the silver navigation key to move down to the Screen Saver Timer box
- Use the backspace softkey (under the screen) and the number keys to set a new time e.g. 90 minutes.
- Press the Save softkey (under the screen)
- Press the red phone down key to close the settings
This allows a user to easily pickup a colleague's ringing phone from their own desk. This is usually a feature for colleagues in a shared office. Users can only be in one pickup group.
Also known as ring groups.
This allows one number to be advertised and a number of extensions to ring in response. This is known as a pilot number.
There are three types of hunt groups.
- All extensions ring simultaneously
- Extensions ring in a pre-determined order
- Extension ring according to the time since last answering a call
Departmental champions ( have provided hunt group lists and pilot numbers. Please contact them for amenments during the first few weeks of operation.
If a phone displays PIN [ ] then it is not registered on the network.
Type three stars *** and press the enter softkey under the screen.
You must be in the same pick up group (and can only be in one pick up group). To pick up the call, lift your receiver when your colleague's phone rings, select softkey pick up call to display who is calling. If you wish to then pick up the phone to the caller, select softkey pick up call.
This means you have missed a call. To see a log of missed, outgoing and received calls, press the key with two arrows to the left of the 4 key.
Soft keys are the buttons directly under your screen which display text depending upon the current information displayed on the screen.
You have a fixed phone which means the phone is always logged in. This is usually for individuals who are a job share or where one phone is needed for a team (i.e. technical staff in some areas).
Login to https://myphone.yorksj.ac.uk/ucs/micollab/ using your windows credentials.
Here you can search for contacts, see your call history and voicemails.
This rings both the logged in phone and the external or mobile phone. Contact reception or login to the User Portal https://myphone.yorksj.ac.uk/portal/ click on the main settings tab (not mailbox settings) and enter your Mobile number in the External Hot Desk Number.
You have different options for forwarding your number:
- Busy Internal
- Busy External
- No Answer Internal
- No Answer External
Go to the Settings cog button, scroll left to call forwarding, enter the extension number or mobile (ensuring a 9 is entered) for the number you wish to forward the call to. You must then ensure the check-box to the right is ticked and you save the settings.