Browser does not support script.

Welcome to London Campus

Living in London

Practical tips to help you settle into your student life.

Students outfit and notebook

Accommodation in London

It is essential that you arrange your accommodation yourself before you arrive in the UK.

It is likely that you will need to use a private accommodation provider. We recommend that you use a dedicated student accommodation provider, as these prices will include all bills and excellent services. You will also have an instant network of student friends.

If you are seeking cheaper accommodation, or family accommodation, always consider the cost of bills and commuting as this can push the price up significantly. Read your contracts carefully because when you have signed a contract it is legally binding.

Further information on accommodation can be found on our London Accommodation Guide (PDF, 2 MB).

You can also find more information on renting in England, in the Government's How to rent guide (PDF, 0.6 MB).

You can see some helpful accommodation websites on our Study in London page.

Travel in London

As a full time student in the UK you are entitled to a discount on your travel in London. This means that if you take a train or bus within London Zones 1 to 6 you can do so for less than the full rate.

To get this discount you need to apply for an Oyster card.

Who can apply

You can apply for the 18+ Oyster card if you are:

  • 18 or over
  • Live in a London borough during term time
  • Enrolled at a school, college or university

Full details of eligibility are on the Transport for London website.

How to apply

You can apply for an Oyster card on the Transport for London website.

Transport for London - Student Oyster Card

For help with your application, download our step by step guide: Oyster Card Application Process (PDF, 0.3 MB) 

If you have any problems with your application or order process, contact Transport For London to ask for help.

Opening a bank account

If you are joining us on a degree course you will probably want to open a UK bank account for your time in England.

You will find out more about how to do this in the International Student Guide. We will give you this guide in your welcome pack.

Before you can open a bank account you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card (if needed) and log in to e:vision to request a bank letter.

Registering with the NHS

You will need to register with the National Health Service (NHS) in case you are ill in the UK.

You can find a GP and information about how to register with a GP on the NHS website.

Find a GP How to register with a GP surgery

You can also find out more about the NHS in our International Student Guidebook.

Download guidebook: London Campus Student Guidebook (PDF, 2.9 MB)

Working in London

When you are enrolled as a student and have collected your BRP card, you can log in into e:vision to request a work entitlement letter.