Learning and Teaching
Principles of student engagement
Here at York St John University, we think of our students very much as partners in their engagement with us. This places a responsibility on all of us, students and staff, to actively seek opportunities for discussion.
Embedding the principles of student engagement (2017-20) (DOCX, 90KB), sets out the following vision,
"To develop a transparent, meaningful and consistent approach to student engagement, through student representatives."
To help to realise our vision, the following objectives are outlined in the document.
- To foster a culture of authentic, open and transparent communication between staff and students.
- To increase engagement with all student groups.
- To clearly define the role and responsibilities of student and staff representatives.
- To ensure that effective and consistent processes support and enable students’ voices to be heard and acted upon.
- To offer support, advice, guidance, training for academic staff regarding effective engagement with the student body.
Achieving our objectives
One of the principles that underpins our vision is communication. So, achieving our objectives requires formal space and time where staff and students can communicate in a transparent and inclusive way. Outlined below is some information indicating what happens and where responsibility lies in order to facilitate the above.
|Academic Rep Meetings||
|Staff and Student engagement committee||